Ballast 4105 - Box blade size / weight

/ 4105 - Box blade size / weight #1  

hyperrust

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40, Bobcat CT2025
I have a 4105 that I got a few months ago. It's been very useful so far, and I haven't had any problems. Right now all I have for ballast is my 6' light duty rotary cutter. The tires are NOT loaded (yet). It's sufficient some of the time, but it's big and unweildy. I thought about just getting a ballast box, but I think a box blade may be better compromise as it's useful ballast.

I'd like to get a 72" so it easily covers the width of the machine. I want to be sure there's enough weight for ballast, so I was looking at heavy duty boxes that weight around 650lbs. Does anyone know if that will be too much implement to handle for this tractor when it's being used as a box blade? The PTO is spec'd at 2200 lbs 24" behind the arms. Engine power is 40.5, HST transmission.

/ 4105 - Box blade size / weight #2  
I have a 4105 that I got a few months ago. It's been very useful so far, and I haven't had any problems. Right now all I have for ballast is my 6' light duty rotary cutter. The tires are NOT loaded (yet). It's sufficient some of the time, but it's big and unweildy. I thought about just getting a ballast box, but I think a box blade may be better compromise as it's useful ballast.

I'd like to get a 72" so it easily covers the width of the machine. I want to be sure there's enough weight for ballast, so I was looking at heavy duty boxes that weight around 650lbs. Does anyone know if that will be too much implement to handle for this tractor when it's being used as a box blade? The PTO is spec'd at 2200 lbs 24" behind the arms. Engine power is 40.5, HST transmission.

I found that on my JD 3720 a 6' medium duty box blade with about 3-400# added to it works fairly well. I also don't believe a ballast box is useless ballast, unless maybe you are in the middle of a field someplace. I would much rather use a ballast box because it is heavy and compact. The money I would save by not having one, I will spend in dented walls and car doors and torn up shrubbery because the box blade swings so far out. I think every tree on my place has the skin torn off on at least one side of it. With a dirt loaded box-blade you will need ballast in your tires, for sure.

/ 4105 - Box blade size / weight #3  
You should be able to handle a 6' heavy duty box blade easily. The box blade will also be useful rather than just having something that's heavy hanging there. We have several grades of blades, including our Xtreme duty that weighs 635 pounds. Check them out on our website here. We also offer free shipping within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC.