4120 - Cranking up the HP

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #1  

CWP37

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5103 w/ 512 LDR
Has anyone had a 4120 tuned up to a 4720 or better? I know JD wouldn't like it, but for less than the $5-7k difference in cost, you'd think you could find a mechanic that coul do that.

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP
I may have found the answer to my own question, but I figure I'd post it for everyone's info and input. It seems that you'd need 2 things to up the HP on a 4120. The available part(s) would be an upgraded fuel delivery system, possible a bigger fuel pump. The mechanic and former JD dealer I talked to said this was available. The second thing you'd need to do is re-program the electronics. This is where Deere has things locked down. As of now, you can't get into or change the fuel control program. The guy I talked to said that dealers have a hard time reprogramming or debugging electric problems.

I guess I didn't know or understand that these tractors had electronic controlled systems. Now I know why you guys are always arguing about keeping things simple and away from electronics, Or, on the other side, how technology has made things better, more reliable, etc.

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #3  
With the cost of fuel these days, you are better off leaving it a 4120. Plenty of hp there if you stick with the gear trans and forget about the AC cab.

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #4  
Actually from what I have went thru with my 4320( Very long story!!!!!!) The cam timing advanced to the injectors will greatly increase the HP and no computer adjustments or pump changes are nessary, It will also increase your boost.That all I will share for now ;-)

Jim

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #5  
Maybe you should start contacting the companies that deal with diesels in pick up trucks. I can buy a box for my Dodge that would up the torque by 600ft#'s. Of course I would kill my auto tranny in a few miles. JC

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #6  
What would be the cost of all the modifications. Perhaps if this is all figured in the difference in tractor costs gets a whole pile smaller and you have a unit that's properly designed and rated.

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #7  
Egon said:
What would be the cost of all the modifications. Perhaps if this is all figured in the difference in tractor costs gets a whole pile smaller and you have a unit that's properly designed and rated.

That's good advice. I've got a blower in my truck and I'd recommend the following:

If there is a factory option for more power, go for it instead. A smaller engine with an aftermarket power boost is never going to be as good as more factory power and you won't be voiding your warranty. I would only consider this on a 4720/3720/2520 because I believe that the short and/or long term costs of an aftermarket upgrade outweigh the immediate cost of the factory upgrade.

If you're doing anything beyond minor power tweaks you'll want to go with a name brand tuner with a warranty (this is easy for a Dodge or a Ford, not so easy to find for a Deere I'm guessing). There is extra stress on the drivetrain which may be upgraded in the larger models and they'll probably have a higher failure rate.

If you can't do the work yourself, make sure you get it done locally. The guys who installed my truck's supercharger are nearly two hours away so visits are a pain.

That said, my Kleemann blower has been great and loads of fun...

/ 4120 - Cranking up the HP #8  
Changing the engine HP by reprogramming or installing an aftermarket "chip" is not possible with JD tractors.

Deere has had a long history of people trying to get more HP from their field tractors. In the days of mechanical injection pumps, you could crank them up until they belched volumes of black smoke.

With the advent of electronics, Deere saw the opportunity to get control over this situation. Today, the ECM's are matched to the tractor by serial number. You cannot put larger tractor controls on a smaller tractor and make it work. And there are no "tuners" out there that do aftermarket kits because the market is so small.

Jeff