4120 R.I.P. she died today

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today #1  

tlm720

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD4120
Radiator filed with oily sludge and expelled all the coolant after blowing the cap of the overflow reservoir. 1500+ hours. Any ideas? Head gasket? No sign of any coolant in the engine oil.

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today #2  
Could be a cracked head if it was a gas engine i would say thay would probably he the diagnosis. Not sure about a diesel though. If you dont have coolant in the oil probably not a head gasket. The oil would have to come from some place that was pressurized coming in contact with the coolant.

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today
That's what I was thinking. I tear into myself if I knew where it was leaking.

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today #4  
Diesel or gas?

4120 CUT. Only available in diesel. Uses the 4024T that Deere uses in some skid steers and all the 4000 twenty series tractors. Also sold as a power unit.

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today #6  
If there is oil in the Radiator then there's coolant in the oil.

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today #7  
The oil in the radiator could be the engine oil cooler. We've seen a few of these fail. The coolant blowing out sounds like a head gasket or cracked head. Did it overheat?

Attachments

• RE515473PCDF02_UN10JUL08.gif
    RE515473PCDF02_UN10JUL08.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 139
Gauge never showed it hot but it definitely was. There was no coolant in it. I know it had coolant 2 days ago because I used it to jump start a dead vehicle and looked at the overflow then. I used it a few hours yesterday and smelled antifreeze smell but didn't think too much of it because the gauge never showed hot and earlier I had drained the radiator of a vehicle destined for the salvage yard and thought I was smelling that. Today I used it and i kept smelling oil smell and then it sounded different then normal. That's when I stopped to investigate.

Oil cooler would make sense because the oil pressure would push out into the radiator and that explains why I don't see any coolant in the oil. May need other repairs now due to running without coolant.

Any easy way to test the oil cooler?

/ 4120 R.I.P. she died today #10  
Oil cooler would make sense because the oil pressure would push out into the radiator and that explains why I don't see any coolant in the oil. May need other repairs now due to running without coolant.

Any easy way to test the oil cooler?

I would remove the cooler and plug one end of the water pipe and pressure up the other port if it leaks into the oil cavity it is bad.. Since it is easy to get to the cooler (behind the oil filter) and the oil is under pressure there I think it is a good chance the cooler is the culprit. Besides you have to start somewhere.