4120 Tilt Steering Issue

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #1  

dconine

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 Cab
Hello all, first post here. I was wondering if anyone else had any trouble with the tilt steering mechanism on a Deere 4120 tractory. Occassionaly, the steering falls out of the teeth interlock while using & has to be lifted back up. Anything that we can do to correct the problem? I also heard there was a possible update kit on the tilt steering. Any enlightenment on this issue & thanks ahead for any help & advise.

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #2  
My 3720 will do the same. Its usually when I'm looking back while plowing snow with the rear blade and I put a little too much torque on the steering wheel. Its a little irritating. I am going to investigate further this spring when I take the cab (not factory) off.

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #3  
My 3120 does it too. Just falls down. I would be interested to see if Deere updated it. Mine is an '07 and does it.

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue
Looks like they did a couple redesigns to the steering column. I looked up the parts list for the 4120 and it shows a new design. If you look at pictures of their new tractors you will notice there is plastic covers bolted to the side of the tilt steering. Our tractor is an '06 model.

Wonder how much they want for the whole redesigned steering system? If its too much just may see if there is a way to fix it, but I would like to do it right.

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #5  
On my 2005 4120, there are two springs that apply tension to the adjuster teeth. They're right under the column boot. To date, I've needed to replace two of them. Usually when the wheel starts dropping down, I've had a broken spring. They have done some updates to the steering system since mine was produced, but I don't recall what they were.

Jon

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #6  
Check this out.
4120dtac.JPG

Tilt pivot pin
tiltpivotpin.jpg

handle sector
handle-sector.jpg

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #7  
My approx. 2007 / 4120 has the same problem. I expect using the steering wheel as a handle to get up on the tractor has caused this problem for some folks. Mine was like that when I bought it used - have not took time to look in to it yet. It stays where it is set as long as you don't use the steering wheel to get on or off the tractor.

P.S. Thanks for the info/breakdown kjung17!

Last edited:
   / 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #8  
My 08 3320 had the same issue after about 9 months of light usage. At that time the service guys said the repair was to take a die grinder to the teeth to remove the rounded edges.

Just short of the the 2 year warranty expiring this year I had the dealer do the repair but didn't ask if they were still doing the die grinder fix. I didn't see any parts listed on the invoice, just "repaired under warranty".

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #9  
That's, certainly, not a documented Deere fix. :confused2: There is, also, no arguing with results. :thumbsup: That's good information. It's nice to have options. Thanks.

/ 4120 Tilt Steering Issue #10  
Hi All, my 2007 model 3120 did it from new, got it "fixed" under warranty. still slipping, go used to it, now out of warranty, but i like the idea of grinding down teeth, cos it does "slip over them, u can feel it as it happens. thanx for good tip. cheers OGH