4200 for $8000

/ 4200 for $8000 #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
Hi folks-

There's a '99 Deere 4200HST 4x4 with loader, scraper, and 16 foot trailer for sale locally, for $8000 whole package.

It's got 1700 hours on it. I haven't seen it yet- just wondering if it's worth my time.

I've got 5 sloping acres and need to grade, cut roads, drill post holes and clear moderate snow from 1/2 mile of road. Might want to backhoe later (this tractor does not have a backhoe).

I want a tractor that's going to last a long time, and I won't put more than 100-150 hours on it a year, if that.

If it's been well maintained, how many hours is such a tractor good for?

How do I tell if it's in good shape?

Think the price is good?

Thanks JG

/ 4200 for $8000 #2  
Sounds like it might be a scam, proceed cautiously...

/ 4200 for $8000
thanks Kenny. I wouldn't consider it without a thorough check-out. sounds like you think it's a low price for a tractor in decent condition. Can this model be expected to go 3000 hours without rebuild if mainained?

JG

/ 4200 for $8000 #4  
Yes, I think it sounds "to" cheap...

3K is no problem for that machine...the whole 4x00 series are great machines. They have a few quirks but nothing to be afraid of...

Two loaders where offered-the 420 and the 430, the 430 having higher lift capacity over the 420.

/ 4200 for $8000 #6  
The 4200 was always criticized for having too little power for the size of the tractor. A lot of folks stepped up to the 4300 series machines instead.
This did not help their resale value.
IIRC, the 4200 has about 28 engine HP and 23 or 24 at the PTO.
It's probably not going to have the power or weight for the tasks you've described (in fact, you might be better off hiring a dozer/operator to cut the roads and grade). You could do it, but it's not going to be a quick job using any CUT.
Assuming it's been decently maintained, you should easily see 3000 hours on the machine.
It should pull well in the two lower ranges. The 4200 has a reputation of not pulling well in the high range. If you're not sure what to look for, I do suggest you get a Deere technician to go with you when you look at the tractor.

I'm going to guess this machine was used by a landscaper (the trailer is the give-away). I'm also going to guess he used the machine hard but 1700 hours only works out to about 170 hours per year. No telling how hard those hours were though.

/ 4200 for $8000 #7  
That sound's too cheap for the whole lot. That being said, I have 7 acres and my 4200 hst has done everything I've asked of it. I leave it in mid range most of the time, use 1st for ground engaging work. High range is a road gear.

M.D.

/ 4200 for $8000
Thanks for everyone's advice.

the seller hasn't been responding to my emails. Either it's a scam and he's off to something else, or he accidentally put too low a price on it and is swamped with buyers.

Anyway, glad I asked, because I learned from this to look closely at power/weight ratio. Though many people are happy with their 4200s, I read one story of an owner who was using a 60" snow thrower with a 4200 and had very bad results- until he upgraded to a 4300. Since I need a good snow clearing unit, I don't think this tractor would be good choice, regardless of the price.

A note on tractor scams. I keep a close eye on tractors for sale in California on Craig's list, and I see a large number of scams. The price is always ridiculously low, they want you to respond thru their email address rather than thru the Craigslist response email, and they tell you that the tractor is in some distant location, ready to be shipped after you pay the money thru some 'escrow' service. Of course, there is no tractor, and if you pay the money you have lost that money, with no recourse whatsoever.

Perhaps Tractor by Net has already done so, but if not I want to suggest that a warning be somehow presented to users about this type of scam. Most people know not to buy a tractor or any vehicle without seeing it first, but evidently enough people actually send money to these scammers to keep them fishing for more. Caveat emptor- buyer beware.

JG

/ 4200 for $8000 #9  
Perhaps Tractor by Net has already done so, but if not I want to suggest that a warning be somehow presented to users about this type of scam. Most people know not to buy a tractor or any vehicle without seeing it first, but evidently enough people actually send money to these scammers to keep them fishing for more. Caveat emptor- buyer beware.

JG

We have to assume most folks buying equipment know what they're getting into. It's also obvious that some have no clue...hopefully they ask questions here before they spend those thousands of dollars. And hopefully, those new buyers or potential buyers can discern from good honest opinions and the bull excretment that pervades so many internet forums.
But TBN cannot and should not try to nanny tractor buyers. Like you wrote, "Caveat Emptor"