4200 rear axle seal

/ 4200 rear axle seal #12  
I have a 4200 JD as well I have removed rops all 8 bolts and disconnected the brake linkage but I am having trouble removing the housing feels like it is getting hung up somewhere tho....if it not supported could that be the issue or could I be missing something else to remove....

/ 4200 rear axle seal #14  
im replacing the right hand side I think the brake lever on the housing is where its getting hung up....I cant tell if its a star hex or square or is it a pin I need to drive out to remove the lever?

/ 4200 rear axle seal #15  
im replacing the right hand side I think the brake lever on the
housing is where its getting hung up....I cant tell if its a star hex or square or is it a pin I need to
drive out to remove the lever?

A steel roll pin holds the brake lever on.

/ 4200 rear axle seal #18  
I realize this is an older thread, but I plan on replacing a leaky rear axle seal on a 4400 in the near future. Can someone tell me if I need a hydraulic press to remove the axle once I have the housing off the tractor? I just want to be prepared. Thanks in advance!

/ 4200 rear axle seal #19  
There are tutorials on TBN (by the way :welcome: ) as well as I'd suggest getting the tech manual that covers your tractor model would be worth the investment. Torque values and removal procedures are outlined.

Can do one side at a time, although one other thread removed more than necessary, according to the tech manual.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/84836-4310-jd-rear-axle-seal.html

Also, the tech manual says (for right side):
Need to remove the parts in your way to get at the 8 cap screws holding the axle (final drive) housing to the transmission housing.
That would be the 3 pt hitch arm, wheel, brake spring, brake rod, park brake, ROPS bolts, and gently pry the final drive housing away.
Will need good blocking under the tractor and maybe a way to support the weight of the ROPS.

Might be a real good time to get the tech (service) manual if you don't have one already. Worth it as there are pics and detailed steps.

Here is a schematic from jdparts.com that may help you visualize the task... should be doable.
Items 12 and 13 are the cap screws that hold housing #6 to the tranny. That final drive weighs about 75 lbs according to the book so some support is advised when removing the 8 cap screws.

Here is schematic for 4200 right side.

Attachments

• 4200_rear_axle.jpg
    4200_rear_axle.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 326
   / 4200 rear axle seal #20  
Thanks for the reply. I actually did purchase the factory service manual(for a small fortune) a few years ago. This manual says the axle needs to be pressed out, however I've seen a few threads on here(including the one you linked to) that lead me to believe this is not necessary. This is what I am trying to clarify. I just want to have all tools necessary before I start the job...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this!!