4230 rear tires leaking? now flat

/ 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat #1  

JYD

Bronze Member
HI All,

I need help with the following. Would like to get you opinions before taking to dealer...

I have JD 4230 with load (hy-guard) R4's rear tires. 100 hours

Noticed tires where a low, so with value on top added air. The first thing I noticed is when I took the valve cap off air starting coming out. so the only thing that is keep in the air and water in the cap. Is that normal? I added air and quickly replaced cap.

Same thing with other tire, but there my problem was after I added air, air and hy guard starting coming out of the based of the stem. not being able to tighten the stem it went flat.

Not sure what to do now. is it just the stem thats bad? Is this easy to replace? and is it normal that nothing is stoping the air from coming out when the stem cap is off?

I look forward to replys

JYD

/ 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat #2  
Sounds like maybe when the tires were filled they forgot to put the valve core back in. Either that or they are just bad. Easy to replace. Screws in with a valve stem core tool.

Attachments

• stem core.jpg
    stem core.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 122
   / 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat
So putting in the value core will stop the air when the cap is off? Would that also stop in air and hy guard coming out from the base of the stem??

thanks

/ 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat #4  
Yes it will. It is typical to remove the valve core when fulling the tire wilth liquid, and then replace the valve core to add air. The valve cores and the tool are available about anywhere and cost less than two dollars. BTW the plastic cap is just a dust cover to keep dirt away from the valve core and possibly damaging it.

Just noticed you also asked about the base of the valve. That could be a bad seal. Do the valve cores first. You need those anyway. Then see how things look.

I will give it a try

thanks

/ 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat #6  
Could be valve cores are loose. Do you mean rim guard, not hy guard?

/ 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat #7  
I just assumed he meant Rim Guard, just like I assumed that with only 100 hours and R4 tires he meant a 4320 tractor instead of a 4230. Agree the valve cores could be loose. When he gets that tool he can check the tightness.

assumtions are correct!!

one last questions,

IF it is the stem seal that is bad, any idea how difficult it is to replace? Is it something that I can do myself or must I have someone to come out?

Thanks for the help

/ 4230 rear tires leaking? now flat #9  
If you are talking about the rubber stem itself, it is not hard to replace. Problem is it goes on from the back side so you would need to deflate the tire and break the bead seal to get to it. If you can do that then you are set to do it yourself. Becomes a bigger problem though if the tires are liquid filled. Definitely need help with that. Not only handling the fluid, but the massive weight of a filled tire.