425 60" mower motor

/ 425 60" mower motor #1  

smilindave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425
So I have some homemade attachments that use the motor from my mower deck. It's not that much of a issue switching the motor from one implement to another but this year im making a leaf blower and will need 2 motors so I decided to order another motor from Terry. Just opened the box and found this! Hopes it helps someone
20220516_091559.jpg

/ 425 60" mower motor #2  
Good info. Thx for sharing.

I'm putting those numbers here, so search engines can see them... :

SER X0411 04478

BUILD INFO : MGG20025 BB1A3

Surplus center is a good source of these if you need. But power-trac does a pretty good job of fair parts pricing and I buy from them when I can.

/ 425 60" mower motor
I'm just glad we have a serial number!

/ 425 60" mower motor #5  
I have a 1430 and am contemplating making a 3 pt mower work for it as opposed to spending $4000 on commercial mower which would see rather infrequent use. Would this motor work on a 60” deck for a 1430 or is the HP number going throw wrench in the math equation?

/ 425 60" mower motor #6  
I have a 1430 and am contemplating making a 3 pt mower work for it as opposed to spending $4000 on commercial mower which would see rather infrequent use. Would this motor work on a 60” deck for a 1430 or is the HP number going throw wrench in the math equation?
That's a hard thing to say.

That motor is 0.580 cubic inches.
The PT425 60" deck has 3 spindles and blades.
The PTO on the 425 puts out 8GPM at 2500 psi.
I do not know how many RPM it spins that motor, but it could be figured out with the hydraulic calculators at Surplus Center, or a tachometer.

You'd have to find out the GPM and PSI of the 1430 PTO and then determine the cubic inches of a motor that will spin at the RPM you're aiming for on the deck.

I'm guessing the 1430 has higher GPM and PSI, so it would potentially spin the motor too fast. You'd need to compensate with a higher displacement motor to bring the RPMs down, if that's what you determine you need.

So, a 3pt PTO spins at 540 rpm. If it's a 1:1 gearbox on the 3PT mower, it would be easy to figure the 1430's GPM, PSI, and then the displacement of the motor that you'd need to get to spin it at 540 rpm.

If the gearbox on the 3PT mower has a reduction or increase, you'd have to figure that in if you're planning on replacing the gearbox to drive the blades directly with a hydraulic motor. Or, you could place the hydraulic motor right onto the gearbox where the PTO shaft would have been and just figure it for the 540.

Make sense?

/ 425 60" mower motor #7  
Also, don't some 3PT mowers use a 1000 RPM shaft? I recall something like that, but am not sure, so just something to look into.

/ 425 60" mower motor #8  
There's adequate hp.

I've converted 540rpm attachments for hydraulic use by selecting a hydraulic motor that has a bearing for side loads to produce near 540 at the pt's rated flow. Then we coupled the hydraulic motor to the gearbox using chain.

That leaves all the implement engineering in place except you'll have to beef up the leading edge for front facing use and /or install running gear like the pt mower has to keep the deck from digging in the ground.

My 1850's draft control is sufficient to keep the flail mower from gouging most ground, so I didn't need wheels out front. A finish mower, you would.

Surplus center knows which motors can handle side load and many of the low speed hi torque ones do. Unlike the one in this thread.

/ 425 60" mower motor #9  
Also, don't some 3PT mowers use a 1000 RPM shaft? I recall something like that, but am not sure, so just something to look into.
The belly mowers tended to have a higher RPM PTO.

It is fairly easy to buy the appropriate PTO hydraulic mower at a place like Surplus Center and attach it to a 3Pt mower with a PTO coupler.

/ 425 60" mower motor #10  
I used one of Surplus Center's PTO splined motors to drive a chipper off of my 1445. Just use one of the on line hydraulic calculators to translate gpm to cu.in./rev and get 540 at whatever throttle speed you want. It isn't difficult.

All the best,

Peter