425 mower not engaging

/ 425 mower not engaging #21  
Worth that to get up and running again. Glad it wasn't internal to the clutch.

Musta been some extra green paint splashed on it :D :D

/ 425 mower not engaging #22  
Glad you got her going.
Yet, another thread of invaluable information.:thumbsup:

/ 425 mower not engaging #23  
My 2001 425 AWS has had a very sensitive reverse safety switch for a long time. I have to actually be rolling forward to get the PTO to engage and stay engaged without pulling the knob all the way up. This weekend, the PTO wouldn't engage at all and I suspected the reverse safety switch that I learned on this site is named the RIO switch. Mine is on the inside of the right frame rail, mounted on top of the bottom flange. It is a grey, button type switch. The brake switch looks the same and is on the left frame.

The easiest thing to check was the seat switch. I disconnected the seat switch and installed a jumper wire in the connector but the PTO still didn't engage.

Since my PTO engaged light on the dash wasn't working either, I thought the trouble must be in powering the circuit, not with the PTO itself, but I checked the PTO solenoid coil anyway. I disconnected the PTO solenoid coil located on the back of the transmission near the top and supplied 12 volts to it to hear it click. That told me the PTO solenoid itself was good.

The RIO switch wasn't easy to find. Not wanting to remove the mower deck which I find difficult, I removed the seat, rear fenders and gas tank. By fiddling with the pedals, I finally located the RIO switch on the top of the lower right frame rail. Nothing came close to contacting that button switch. Then I discovered a relatively thin metal strap that was hanging loose from a mechanism tied to the forward-reverse mechanism. I swung that strap forward to see that it had a shinny place where it used to contact the RIO switch. I disconnected the RIO switch and installed a jumper in the connector. With the jumper still in the seat switch and a jumper in the RIO switch, I made sure the brake was not engaged, turned the ignition to ON and pulled the PTO knob. The solenoid clicked to confirm it was the RIO switch that was the problem, or actually the mechanism that is supposed to engage the RIO switch. I tied the jumpered connector to the RIO switch up to another wire to keep it from dangling and getting caught on something. I reinstalled the tank, fenders and seat, reconnected seat switch and everything's working fine. Plus the PTO won't turn off when I back up a foot to avoid an obstacle.

This fall when I take the mower deck off for the winter, I'll be able to access the mechanism that is supposed to depress the RIO switch button to see what's wrong and decide to fix it or leave the RIO switch out of the circuit.

/ 425 mower not engaging #24  
:welcome: JDR

Sounds like you have the problem all sorted out and under control. I'm guilty of jumpers in both safety switches, and while not nervous about the RIO switch being disconnected (that is a must for me), I am a bit nervous about the seat switch as it would shut down the tractor if we rolled over on a hillside. But not that nervous I guess.

My 425 AWS is an awesome tractor, that I leave hooked to the MC519 cart year-round now.

Hope to hear more from you about your tractoring.

/ 425 mower not engaging #25  
Dutch445 is right, the PTO clutch is a wet clutch within the transmission. If the dash light is coming on, then all three safety switches are working, seat, park brake and reverse. I'd check the PTO solenoid. It is on the rear of the transmission pointing straight back near the top, left of center. There are two wires in a connector. With the ignition off, disconnect the electrical connector and apply 12 volts DC to the terminals of the connector on the solenoid leads. You should hear a click when the solenoid engages. If you hear that click, the solenoid valve itself is OK. Then put a volt meter on the connector of the wiring harness that you just unplugged from the solenoid connector. If you don't have a meter, a 12 volt lamp or check light will work fine. Then with the parking brake disengaged and sitting on the tractor seat, turn the ignition to on without starting the tractor and pull the PTO knob up. You should have 12 volts at the connector or a lit check light. If you do and you hear the solenoid click, I'd say you're good electrically and it must be the PTO clutch itself.

Good Luck.