425 or GT275

/ 425 or GT275 #11  
what is the music for the video? I cant place it...been too many years

/ 425 or GT275 #12  
You need more weight. Also, try a piece of pipe added to the cutting blade to keep the edge from cutting into the stone.

I plow snow with my 425. It'll easily move over a foot at a time. Last week I did 5 driveways, 75 -100 ' long in less than an hour. Snow was 6" deep. But, this is on pavement. Plow is way faster than a blower. But not as neat, and several deep snows become a problem when you don't have a place to push it as it piles up. Where you are, the amount of snow might say get a blower.

A bulldozer, it is not. Can't let the blade dig into the ground - instant stoppage.

/ 425 or GT275
hizoot: Can't remember the name of the song but I believe it is off of Marty Gold's Wired for Sound album. The music was copied from an LP a few years back and I didn't enter all the song names into the computer at the time.

Gittyup: I am interested in the idea of the pipe on the blade edge. I did experience the plow digging into the gravel and tripping even with the skids down (ground was not frozen). What kind of pipe? How is it attached? Do you remove the skids?

I have been thinking of how to add more weight. My neighbor (at the camp) has welding equipment, so perhaps he can build be a box or rack that I can fill with concrete. I will of course want to remove it for spring/summer/fall mowing.

/ 425 or GT275 #14  
Hey there,

I don't have a blade but I noticed a big traction difference on my rig when I went to the 26in tire that the 445 and 455 use. I went with a knobby looking tire filled with windshield wiper fluid and 70lb cast iron wheel weights. Pryor to that I had 23in weighted bar tires.
I have a 3 point I could have hung more weight off however I haven't had to with my new set up.

The pic is from our last sizeable snow. My first pass was plenty goofy because I couldn't really see my road. So instead of my normal 2 passes I ended up maken 3. Not sure what my Springer is looken at but if I had to guess it had something to do with grub ... as you can see she doesn't miss many meals :)

Good luck with your tractor ... I'm sure it will do you fine, I know mine has.

Rick

Attachments

• JD425&Blower.JPG
    JD425&Blower.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 197
   / 425 or GT275 #15  
Gittyup: I am interested in the idea of the pipe on the blade edge. I did experience the plow digging into the gravel and tripping even with the skids down (ground was not frozen). What kind of pipe? How is it attached? Do you remove the skids?

There are many threads on here about adding a pipe to a blade for removing snow on stone drives. Do a search in the "build it yourself" and "customization" forums. You'll find plenty of info. These leave behind a little snow on top of the stone. Works best the flatter and harder your drive.

The basic concept is to slit a PVC pipe length-wise and simply push it onto the bottom of your blade. I think 2" or so, sch.40, is what most are using. Push it on and go. When it wears through, replace it. This is all that some do. Others add mechanisms to attach it more securely. Still others use different pipe materials for longer life. Some curve the ends back so there is no "edge" to catch on things. You can make it as simple or elaborate as you want. A lot of interesting threads on here about it.

/ 425 or GT275
RickND: I thought about filling the tires, but figured this would decrease the ride quality. Did you notice any difference?

Gittyup: Thanks - I did some searching and found lots of info on this, as you indicated. I have lots of black ABS that I could use for this - hopefully I am finished with snow plowing for this season, though!!!

On a side note, I ordered a new air filter & pre-cleaner, spark plugs, hydro oil filter and oil, brake pedal pad, fuel filter and oil filter today for pickup on Friday from my JD dealer.
In fact, I ordered three oil filters as the 425, Gator 6x4 and Mule 2510 all use the same one. Got to love parts standardization.

/ 425 or GT275 #17  
If you can get into 26" rubber it will help for sure,
esp if you can get them filled with fluid.

that ramp/stairs looked scary! when i had my 445,
with rear tires loaded, it was well over 1000 lbs,
i would have had a hard time taking it down
that ramp, too much pucker factor for me! although
you had a relatively soft landing at the bottom
with the snow. i expected the hitch to really dig
at the bottom, but it sort of glided and you made it
ok.

that snow looks like it was very heavy, and with any ice
underneath, it will be hard with that tractor to really be
effective. once you establish a frozen base, and get some
lighter snow, it will work great. maybe you don't get that
cold during most winters though. we have been very cold this
winter, and my driveway/base was probably 3" thick in places,
but being hard packed snow it worked well for traction for
cars and vehicles, until it rains that is.

congrats on the new tractor.

oh, one thing to check out. pedal travel, for your hydro.
see if you have full reverse, use a short rope and when going backwards,
wrap the rope around the forward pedal and pull up. if you have a "lot" more
travel with the rope, you may need to adjust the bracket under the
footrest to get those pedals back up thru the floorboard further, giving
a little more pedal and ground speed in both forward and reverse.
I "adjusted" mine a couple times while i had it, with long bar or
sturdy board, prying up on that bracket that the pedals attach to under
the floorboard there.

:D

/ 425 or GT275
Yes, driving up and down those ramp was scary. Should be the first and last time I have to do it. I had to take the plow off to get extra clearance for using the ramps.
That tractor will stay on one side of the creek for the winter, and, of course in the summer it can go through the creek ford when the creek is at normal levels.

I will check out the hydro pedal travel this weekend when I service the machine. Thanks for the heads up!

/ 425 or GT275 #19  
t,

Seemed like the more weight I placed on the unit the better the ride got.

Rick

/ 425 or GT275 #20  
change oil often and she'll last forever. I change about every 25 hours. But, only change the filter every 50 here lately. That filter is pricey for what it is! Oil change takes about 5 minutes. Very nicely designed by JD.