Traction 4310 No 4x4

/ 4310 No 4x4 #1  

doppler46

Tractor
JD 4310 JD448 backhoe attachment, Farm Trac 60, John Deere 5055
Shame on me I hit a stump in the pasture. I broke the suction screen housing which they call a cap. Also I broke the lever and actuator that engages the 4 wheel drive. Many dollars later I received the new parts. When I removed the roll pin from lever I pulled out on the shaft and rotated it. Well i must have miss aligned the gears because I do not have 4 wheel drive and the lever just turns freely. Do I now have an internal problem and have to take the transfer apart or is there a procedure to align the shaft and gears. Thanks! Merry Christmas!

/ 4310 No 4x4 #2  
Which transmission do you have?

You can try looking the parts up at Deere to see if it explains the problem.

John Deere Parts Catalog

/ 4310 No 4x4 #4  
Okay here is the parts page for your eHydro MFWD selector.
John Deere Parts Catalog

I haven't located the shift lever for the eHydro in the service manual but it looks to be similar if not the same as the power reverser.
This is the photo they have of that.
MFWD02.jpg

Sounds like you moved the shaft and disengaged that shift shoe from the collar. You might be able to feel your way through getting it back in the slot. If that little shoe falls out you will most likely have to split the tractor to fix it. The shoe I am referencing is illustration #4 on the parts page.

/ 4310 No 4x4
Okay here is the parts page for your eHydro MFWD selector.
John Deere Parts Catalog

I haven't located the shift lever for the eHydro in the service manual but it looks to be similar if not the same as the power reverser.
This is the photo they have of that.
View attachment 634151
Sounds like you moved the shaft and disengaged that shift shoe from the collar. You might be able to feel your way through getting it back in the slot. If that little shoe falls out you will most likely have to split the tractor to fix it. The shoe I am referencing is illustration #4 on the parts page.

Interesting I am going to research that. Thanks.

/ 4310 No 4x4 #6  
I'm thinking I should make some skid plates for mine before doing any rough terrain work with it.

/ 4310 No 4x4
CBEECDEA-C1C4-4F3A-B20D-5EBF23A70507.jpeg

#14 is the lever I was replacing and #5 is the shaft I pulled and misaligned. So how do I correct this?

/ 4310 No 4x4 #8  
Intriguing problem.. is it possible to get a Borescope into that area to see what is happening, and also to see how to re-align the shoe. In hopes to avoid splitting. Not a predicament I'd like to be in.

Surprised that shaft could come out easily.. and that removing the spring pin holding the lever arm didn't allow removal of the broken arm and replacement of the new one.
Or is that one of those "in hind-sight, if I'd only known" cases??

/ 4310 No 4x4 #10  
View attachment 634161

#14 is the lever I was replacing and #5 is the shaft I pulled and misaligned. So how do I correct this?

#4 should be in the grove of the collar of #6. Before I split the tractor I would take the rear PTO housing off. It's not hard to do and i'm sure you would be able to poke #4 into place without splitting the tractor. You might need to pull the whole PTO clutch assembly out of the rear differential housing to get enough room. You will need to remove the pin on #14 again and push the #5 shaft back in enough to be able to slide #4 into the grove. Then just be careful as you put everything back together again.

I've removed the whole PTO clutch assembly on my 4410 for some repairs. It's not difficult, it's just fiddly work. You should have a service manual and follow the directions in there.