4310 question

/ 4310 question #1  

stvman

Gold Member
Tractor
A very tired Case 580 (looking to downsize)
I read in one of the NH threads that Deere uses cast aluminum axles as opposed to cast iron. I called a local Deere dealer to ask if it was true he stated yes they are but it is a non issue when it comes to durability. What he could not answer was why? I am just curious to the benifit of aluminum usually you want to increase weight not decrease it. Am I missing something?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 4310 question #2  
Stvman,

Would you expect him to say it was an issue?

I'm not sure if it is an issue or not. I just know that if I was going to bottom out on a rock, I would rather have cast iron and not cast aluminum. My experience has always been that cast aluminum tends to break pretty easily, relative to cast iron.

Don't quote me on this but if I remember right, the left/right link arms are hinged on pins that are attached to cast aluminum as well.

It's not a big issue for me but it's definitely a consideration in my tractor purchase and I wish they would have stuck with cast iron. It would bring me that much closer to choosing JD.

Next time you go tractor browsing, bring a magnet with you. If it does not attract the magnet then it is a non-ferrous metal.

/ 4310 question
Neo, A magnet is exactly what I took last friday when I looked at a 4310. I found the front axle is cast iron but the back is mostly cast aluminum. I know through my experience cast iron is much tuffer than aluminum. What I do not understand though is that cast aluminum is more expensive than iron. Which leads me to believe Deere must have some reason for using it. With all the advancements in metallurgy they may have a excellent reason for doing so. I did not want to dismiss Deere as a choice without knowing the reason.

/ 4310 question #4  
possibly it's easier to cast and machine than cast iron ???
John

/ 4310 question #5  
Or perhaps to tighter tolerances with better heat dissapation.

/ 4310 question #6  
Stvman,

I don't think it is a reason to dismiss JD. However, its reasonable to be concerned about it and ask questions. If you ever get a valid reason why from JD, let us know.

/ 4310 question #7  
When I was buying, I was told by some that "weight is good" for tractors. It depends on what your doing. This is "old school" train of thought. This comes from the agricultural past of tractors where pulling is primary usage. If you are primarily mowing, using the FEL, or box blading, weight is not something to base any purchasing decision on. I can tell you that weight is only good when you need it and very bad when you don't. I've been stuck 3 times mowing around my pond when "the crust breaks" thru. My tires are currently ballasted with water and I am thinking of draining them. I always have an implement on the back to ballast my FEL.

As far as aluminum vs cast iron, an engineered alum structure can be designed to be lighter and yet stronger at the same time. The material costs are higher but they are offset by the machining cost usually. I looked at this situation when I bought and decided that it was the cast iron parts on the cheaper machines that looked less heavy duty. Looking at the cousin parts, the basic diameters and cross sections of the alum were much bigger which spreads out the energy it receives. Not looking to start any arguments here, but I decided if JD was going to put alum parts on one of its best sellers, surely they have used expensive cad/cam software to design the things....Kyle

/ 4310 question #8  
Kyle,

I agree with most of what you said. However, I wouldn't assume that just because JD decided to go that way, it's a good idea.

They also decided to make the mid-PTO dependent on the rear-PTO and without an interlock, which was a bad idea. Most 4210/4310/4410 owners that I have talked to, and even some of the dealers, have said this was bad idea on JD's part.

By the way, just for the record, I don't own any particular color, I'm still looking and the 4310/4410 are still in the running.

/ 4310 question #9  
Has there been any history on the use of cast aluminum on 4300s etc. or are the 4210/4310/4410s the first tractors to use it?

/ 4310 question #10  
There was a post a few months back, about June 6th or so from Iamgott. He had his aluminum axle housing snap where the sways attach. He included pictures for his JD 4300. It was not the entire housing, just a portion, the part where the sways tie in, probably not the ideal place to use aluminum. It certainly in terms of bulk was no larger and quite frankly, much smaller then the steel supports on my tractor where the sways tie in. Machining aluminum vs cast iron is very similar.