4310 Stalling out

/ 4310 Stalling out #11  
I had my 4310 gell up at the tank outlet. At least it it no -40 and you have snow to move!! I wonder if it does it again could you take off the fuel line and pressurise the tank with compressed air and blow the crud out?? I am glad for you it is not the pump.

/ 4310 Stalling out #12  
I hate the design of the fuel cap with the drain tube through the engine compartment.

Yes veryone should remove that drain tube. It gets pinched in there
between the air intake rubber hose, and the valve cover. It was
part of what caused my first 4300's engine failure. It is OK if you spill
a little Diesel on the engine.

There is an inch or so of space above the fuel tank drain valve and
the fuel pickup. All tractors I have owned get a lot of sediment in the
tank by the time they are 10y old.

/ 4310 Stalling out
I had my 4310 gell up at the tank outlet. At least it it no -40 and you have snow to move!! I wonder if it does it again could you take off the fuel line and pressurise the tank with compressed air and blow the crud out?? I am glad for you it is not the pump.

Mine gelled a couple of winters ago and I learned about frozen fuel filters. Nearly 3 feet of snow and I'm dead in the water (well, snow). I used the same method then to blow the frozen fuel back into the tank. I opened the drain valve and nothing came out! I would really like to clean out my tank before winter. I have learned to use all my summer fuel by fall. I retired in January so I don't care if I have to wait to get out when it snows! Smiling, looking out the window with my coffee in hand.....priceless.

/ 4310 Stalling out #14  
Yes veryone should remove that drain tube. It gets pinched in there
between the air intake rubber hose, and the valve cover. It was
part of what caused my first 4300's engine failure. It is OK if you spill
a little Diesel on the engine.

There is an inch or so of space above the fuel tank drain valve and
the fuel pickup. All tractors I have owned get a lot of sediment in the
tank by the time they are 10y old.

Interested as to how it caused engine failure? Are we talking the simple overflow drain line from the top of the tank? Oh, I think I remember it rubbed a hole thru your intake which bypassed the filters? I will go check mine.

/ 4310 Stalling out #15  
I believe I have the problem solved. I pulled the hose off that leads back to the fuel tank, the one above the drain valve, when I did that no fuel came out. I gave the hose a quick blast of air and fuel began to flow. I just ran the tractor for over an hour with no problems!
I am going to have to get the dirt out of my tank when the fuel level gets lower.

Thanks to all that responded!

Randy
I suspect the stopped up condition was causing a vacuum and keeping the fuel from flowing? Can you figure out which line # you are referring too?

MP38958________UN07NOV06.gif

/ 4310 Stalling out
Kyle, thanks for the pics. It is either #16 in the first picture of #18 in the second one. It enters the tank above the drain valve.

Thanks.

/ 4310 Stalling out #18  
Interested as to how it caused engine failure? Are we talking the simple overflow drain line from the top of the tank? Oh, I think I remember it rubbed a hole thru your intake which bypassed the filters? I will go check mine.

Yeah, that's it. It's really tight in there, and dirt adds an abrasive.

If you plan to go in and adjust your valves and take a look at the
state of your hoses, take the muffler off for access.

Attachments

• smoking_gun_a.jpg
    smoking_gun_a.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 130
   / 4310 Stalling out #19  
Yeah, that's it. It's really tight in there, and dirt adds an abrasive.

If you plan to go in and adjust your valves and take a look at the
state of your hoses, take the muffler off for access.
Thank you.
Good folks on this here board I tell ya'!

/ 4310 Stalling out #20  
My 4310 now has 225 hours. I have had a few minor issues with the tractor over the years which I have been able to resolve myself. Yesterday, as I was bush hoggin my engine began to miss a bit and then slowly shut off. I could restart it immediately at a lower throttle and move the throttle up and all would be fine for a minute then it would slowly die again.

I changed the fuel filter, drained the fuel tank and used a separating filter, refueled and still have the same issue. I have taken off the fuel cap and blown air up through the top and I do get air out the top. Air filters are new.

This seems to happen after the engine is warmed up a bit. Still starts quickly every time. One thing I think I'll try tomorrow is to try and duplicate that same situation and then park it and take the fuel cap completly off and see if it still occurs just to rule out the fuel cap. Fuel filter cup does not drop in level.

Any recommendations on what I may be missing?
Thanks in advance.

Randy
I had the same issues from the sediment to the stalling. I cleaned out the tank and replaced the fuel filter last summer and checked fuel lines and the tank for a vacuum, no problems. Now, my tractor runs for a bit then slowly stalls every 15 secs, but starts right back up, like you described. My tractor, however, is only stalling when it’s cold. 35 degrees today and stalling. 65 degrees 2 days ago and ran great for two straight hours. Any insight would be appreciated.”