4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
Hi Folks:

Does anyone know how to do this on the 4x20 seires of compact Utility tractors?

One of the top bolts backs out into the fan pulley and will not clear it, so it cannot back out far enough to be remove to let the pump come off. Ridiculous.

To remove the pulley it looks like the fan, shroud, and radiator all have to come out. For one bolt that won't clear by 1/8". Ridiculous.

Anyone else find a better answer to this?

Also, if I do have to do all this, where is the thermostat? Might as well change it too.

Thanks,

gbw

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #2  
actually, if you can back out all the bolts as far as you can, and pull the housing out as far as that allows, you should be able to remove that bolt!..

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed
actually, if you can back out all the bolts as far as you can, and pull the housing out as far as that allows, you should be able to remove that bolt!..

Doesn稚 work in this case, the bolt passes through a second housing so is too long and cannot be removed.

Only way is to remove the fan shroud, radiator, fan, fan sheeve, hoses, exhaust pipe, air intake, belt, and probably a couple other things I forgot. Sounds worse than it is actually, takes about 2 hrs. for amateurs.

Worse is that Deere charges $325 for a $75 pump. After mkt is available for $150 which I selected, it looks & fits good. Original failed @ 650 hrs.

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #4  
Did you find the thermostat? It is in the upper radiator hose nipple at the engine side.

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #5  
gbw
You stated:
it looks & fits good.

Sounds like you have it already done... ??

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed
gbw
You stated:

Sounds like you have it already done... ??

It's done. Right after posting I went ahead and took out the radiator, fan and associated paraphernalia. It was clear there really was no other way much as I'd hoped otherwise. And it wasn't that terrible, just initially aggravating. The real wrong is the price Deere charges for routine spare parts.

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #7  
It's done. Right after posting I went ahead and took out the radiator, fan and associated paraphernalia. It was clear there really was no other way much as I'd hoped otherwise. And it wasn't that terrible, just initially aggravating. The real wrong is the price Deere charges for routine spare parts.

Yup that's how it's done did once about 4 years ago and going to do it again Monday. Not hard but time consuming just for that one bolt

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #8  
I pulled the hood, radiator and fan off of mine. Less time in the long run I think, plus trying to start those bolts and possibly cross threading one. I also replaced the thermostat while I was in there. I also bought a new radiator cap but didn’t use it because it didn’t have the rubber dust seal on it. It would allow dust to get into the spring mechanism and lock it up potentially over pressurizing the whole system. Anyone know the part number for the cap that has the rubber dust seal?

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #9  
Hi gbw, I am dealing with the same issue now. Check out repairs on the forum. I have a 4320, 2006 with 2025 hrs. My pump started leaking and was coming from the bearing shaft. Because I am always using hearing protection I never heard any sounds from the pump area. I had the steering cylinder break at the ball joint. No grease fitting, this is when I noticed the antifreeze. Try and find one of these parts aftermarket. I had to go back to JD, $614.00! For a **** strut basically. The starter from Deere is close to $250.00, I found one for $ 79.00. What I am hearing is all brands are similar. Back to the removal of the pump. The bottom bolt of the pump, as you said was hitting the pulley. I was pissed. A notch in the flange would have allowed this bolt to come out, but noooooooo. I too removed the radiator, fan, and pulley. There is 6 fins on the impeller, I found two in the timing cover and one still on the impeller, but no where is the other three.Today is 9/20/19, I am putting the pump on tomorrow. In my case the timing cover was severely scored. Like a counter sink. I called the dealer, they said that year tractor, the entire front end has to be removed to get the timing cover off. The estimate to do this is $ 3,000.00. I am going to try the new pump without this expense. Antifreeze passes from the timing cover to the pump via this 1 1/2" hole, the gasket is quite a bit wider than the hole and the damage to the outer portion of the hole, so why go to the expense to replace the timing cover? Others here have said put it back together and see what happens. How many hours on your tractor and what year is it? Just curious.

Dave

/ 4320 Water Pump Remove Help needed #10  
Can you post pictures of the timing cover damage before you reassemble.