435D

/ 435D #1  

LawnButcher

Tractor
Lawn Mower
My dad has an old 435D ? clunker that I would like to get running again. The only mechanical thing wrong that he tells me of is that it will not go into reverse.
He has the manual for it and I plan on getting it from him soon, but in the meantime could anyone give me an idea of what could be the problem?
Also, a quick history of this model would be interesting, for I know nothing about it and the posts here have been very limited on the 435D.

Thanks a million,
DC

/ 435D #3  
LawnButcher:

<font color="blue"> Am I being black balled </font>

I think not.....but I did read your post a while back, It's just I know nuthing about a "435D" in fact I've never herd of it....so I just didn't respond....but while were at it...how about you snap a shot of it a post it?????

Whiskey

/ 435D #4  
<font color="blue"> think not.....but I did read your post a while back, It's just I know nuthing about a "435D" in fact I've never herd of it....so I just didn't respond. </font>

Ditto here.
I assume diesel as the "d", that limits me.
Is it a hydrostat?
Two pedal?

/ 435D #5  
I too would have replied if I had know about this model. I have never heard of one. Is it old like from the 40s, 50s or 60s? Does it have a hand clutch? Almost sounds like a bull dozer model number.

/ 435D #6  
It has a GM diesel (2-53) engine in place of a Deere mfg. two-cylinder engine and is basically a very sound tough tractor. Probably depends on the model of 435, as there were utility, standard, orchard, crawler, etc. models all called the 435 (upgrading from the model M, 40, 420, and 430. These were two-cylinder upright engines with a lot of iron). I had a 420 utility that was a tank. These tractors were gear models, likely five speed forward, some with a reverser lever which reversed the transmission. Could have the same speeds and gears reverse as forward.
These were made in Dubuque, Iowa at the Deere plant there. Age would have been around 1960 when Deere was moving to all Diesel in all their tractors, and moving to 4 and 6 cylinders, instead of the traditional two. This engine had 106 cubic inches, a bore and stroke of 3 7/8 x 4 1/2", and serial numbers from 435001 - 439626.

Pictures would be appreciated. I could have responded sooner but was waiting for some time to get the information, and wasn't too enthused after the "clunker" reference. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 435D
I was just trying to get some response with the blackball comment and the "clunker" comment was just stupidity. Anything that can take the abuse of my family should be a tank.

beenthere,
You're right on track with the numbers it's either a '59 or '60 model. I will take my camera when I go to pick up the manual.

Thanks Men,
DC

/ 435D #8  
Lawnbutcher -

Best place I have found for info on the old JD farm tractors is www.ytmag.com. Go to the John Deere page then forum and ask away. Plenty of guys there with the old JD iron. Lots of great guys here too but we learn towards newer CUT's.

In any event, any old JD is worth restoring especially a rare one like you seem to have. Nothing more rewarding IMHO.

Good luck.
Fred