445 Oily Air Filter

/ 445 Oily Air Filter #1  

olgreyhair

Tractor
John Deere 445

Hello all, I was just servicing my 445 for spring. I put almost 75hrs on her last season. total hours on machine is approx. 1250. It's had head gaskets replaced laat year and run really well. My question really concerns the crankcase breather I think, in that my air filter is quite oily, especially on the left side where the u shaped tube from the crankcase breather comes into the air cleaner assembly. Strange thing is that the spark plug on the left side on the engine is also black with carbon where as the right spark plug is perfect. The oil is not over filled. Is it normal to get so much oil up from the crankcase like that? And is it possible that it affects the spark plug on that one side as well? I don't get it. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks, George

/ 445 Oily Air Filter #2  
oil in the air filter is normally caused by worn rings or blown head gasket which could explain the carbon on the plug

/ 445 Oily Air Filter #3  
As someone already said, could be bad rings. You said you had the head gaskets replaced. Were the pistion rings replaced at the same time?

See the attached photo. Do you have the U-tube installed as shown?
fd620 air filter.JPG

There is a breather in the engine. See this here:
John Deere - Parts Catalog

It is item 3. Check to make sure this is working and clean.

Richard

/ 445 Oily Air Filter
As someone already said, could be bad rings. You said you had the head gaskets replaced. Were the pistion rings replaced at the same time?

See the attached photo. Do you have the U-tube installed as shown?
View attachment 463128

There is a breather in the engine. See this here:
John Deere - Parts Catalog

It is item 3. Check to make sure this is working and clean.

Richard

Thanks, I will check it out. The rings were not replaced when the head gaskets were done. I suspect that is my problem, but It runs very well so I may try to get thru this season.