445 X-torque

/ 445 X-torque
Those saws will run the 18" bars no problem. Depending on how often you run into 18" diameter or better would help you figure out whether to use the 16" bar. That would be a lot of engine for a 16" bar. The saw I use the most all day is my top handle Husky with a 16" bar. That is because it is lighter and doesn't wear me out dragging it around. Another thing to consider is if you are leaning over cutting up a lot of stuff. The longer bar will give you a little more reach without having to lean over and make your cuts.. Clear as mud? :confused2:

Being an old guy with a bad back........18" (or even 20") it is!

/ 445 X-torque #12  
Being an old guy with a bad back........18" (or even 20") it is!
I am getting up there myself so I think about that stuff. The flip side of that is a longer bar gives you more chance for kickback. Wear chaps or saw pants. Getting tired lugging around a longer bar happens. Take breaks, drink water.

/ 445 X-torque
The saw is running as good as it ever has! All it took was a good dose of Sea Foam (which to be honest, I had never even heard of) and within ten minutes there was no bogging down. Now I will use it a bit, put a new bar on it, and sell it!!! 346xp/550xp here we come!!! :D

The 445 has an 18" bar, so I'd feel good sticking with that, or going to 20".

As always...this site has saved my bacon, and let me do it the simplest and least expensive way. I am very glad to be able to get the benefit of everyone's experience. Thanks!!!!

/ 445 X-torque #14  
Good idea on the upgrade, 346XP is the best, most fun to run saw I've ever had hold of. A couple of years ago, I ordered mine and when it arrived at the dealer, it came with a 20" bar. I wanted the longer bar for the extra reach, because I'm an old cuss also. The balance of the saw with 20" was a no go for me, too nose heavy, so I had them switch to an 18". I still wanted the 20", but something lighter than what come on the saw, so I ordered a Narrow Kerf version from Baileys and that works good. It's so much fun that I sold 10 ricks of my wood just so I'd have room to cut some more.

/ 445 X-torque #15  
I'm really looking forward to it! I love the idea that the saws weigh just around the same, a friend has a 455 Rancher and it's heavier than I like. My 445 has an 18" bar. Do you think the 346/550 will be good with an 18" as well? I was wondering if I should go with 16" to keep weight and maneuverability good.
I have 16" on one 346 and 18" on the other. I like the weight/balance better with 16" but like the reach of the 18".

/ 445 X-torque #16  
I'll play devils advocate here. If you like your 445, I do not see a reason for getting rid of it especialy if its running well. To be honest, there are many "chainsaw nuts" lurking here and I admit to being one. Just look at some of the saws are owned by one guy. I will also make another suggestion. If you are bent on getting a new saw, the 346 is a "peaky" saw excellent for building quick rpm's for limbing. The 550 is a step above the 346 but is not governed in its running properties as the older saws are. These newer Huskies have a "brain" that learns the saw usage. If I were not a "specialty user" and interested in just one ,nice all around home owner saw that sees the amount of use as you described, I'd get a 353 which is a detuned 346 but with a wider torque band which in my mind is better suited to the occasional user. One of these with an 18" bar will be all the saw you'll ever need and about a hundred bucks cheaper than the 346. and what? $250 cheaper than the 550. ( I don't know what the 550's cost. My saw guy has one with a $650 price tag on it but he could be slamming it for all I know)

/ 445 X-torque
550xp generally run around $550-$580.

I just ordered a 550XP for $534.99 delivered(from eBay). It has a 20" bar; a little longer than I would have liked, but there is the old-guy bad back thing to think about! Should have it by the end of next week. And I put the 445 on Craigslist...someone's coming to pick it up tomorrow, with a "back-up" buyer waiting in the wings.

I only want one saw, so it has to be both (a) light, and (b) powerful. I did a lot of reading up on Husky saws, and thought that the 550's autotune feature has been around just long enough to prove itself. I am looking forward to using the new saw on a stand of trees I need gone. I will post up the results once I run a few tanks of fuel through the saw and get a feel for how it does. :D