Backhoe 448 backhoe ???

/ 448 backhoe ??? #1  

buckmaster

Tractor
Have a 4320 and i am looking at getting a 448 backhoe. Have a couple questions for the already owners! Do you have to have the power beyond kit? AS for attaching i understand that you have to take the 3pt arms off and there are also 2 brackets that stay mounted to the machine.So, I guess what i am asking is when you take the backhoe off, all you have to do is put th 3pt arms back on and then you are ready to put implements back on. I will only use the hoe a couple days a month so i want to be sure that it is easy to change between the hoe and say a boxblade. Also, how powerful/effective is this hoe. Any help would be great,THANKS

/ 448 backhoe ??? #2  
I have the 47 Hoe on my 3520 and as I understand it the 48 is quite similar. You do need the PB kit (basically high flow hydraulic ports) and you do need to remove the 3pt hitch arms. The swop is really pretty easy. I can do it in about 15-20 minutes (more or less) including the 3pt arms and draw bar, it actually takes longer to do the 3pt arms than it does to attach/detach the hoe.

As for power? I have lifted the front of my machine off the ground while digging stumps. I think that you will be quite pleased. That being said, keep in mind that the controls are "touchier" than the controls on a dedicated hoe and take a little getting used to. I find that after a few minutes to get back up to speed again that the unit is really pretty good for a compact hoe, with plenty of power and a pleasure to use.

BILL

/ 448 backhoe ??? #3  
I have a 448. I'll second ACKBill's comments. Easy to mount -dismount. It does take longer to rig the 3pt arms, links and sway arms than it does to do the actual mount or dismount. One small problem I have is: If I have put the manual side tilt adjustment on instead of the hyd, there are places in raising the 3pt that you cannot adjust the lenght of the tilt. The BH frame interferes with the butterfly plate and won't let you twist it. The controls are touchy I find the boom lift needs an especially light touch to keep it from crashing home against the stops. Nice rig, I'm happy with it.

Just remember: Every sale of a BH comes with a Diesel powered cable and pipe locater. Guarenteed to find that one item nobody knew about. Remember to call for utility locates if near the public ROW, and be prepared to handle the unexpected if on your place. The old farm I'm on has so much underground junk it is crazy.

/ 448 backhoe ??? #4  
I have a 48 hoe on my 4600. I use it mostly for digging stumps and maintaining drainage ditches. I could not live without it. The tech aspect has been answered and the only thing I might add about power is the swing is weak, I guess to keep from twisting the boom.

/ 448 backhoe ??? #5  
I have the 8 B w/subframe here is a picture of 2 brackets that stay mounted to the machine.

JD039Medium.jpg

/ 448 backhoe ???
Thanks for all the info, The pictures are a great help. It would be sweet if somebody had the pictures for a 448 bracket on a 4000 twenty series. Thanks again.

/ 448 backhoe ??? #7  
buckmaster said:
Thanks for all the info, The pictures are a great help. It would be sweet if somebody had the pictures for a 448 bracket on a 4000 twenty series. Thanks again.

I'll post a couple when my wife gets back from work with the camera.
You'll need to disregard the snow, though...

Jon

/ 448 backhoe ???
I really cant decide between the 448 and the woods bh90-x. The woods numbers are a lil better and a lil bit cheaper but i do like the 448 and assume it has plenty of power. Please keep posting guys, i also have a post in the attachment section as well for comparing the 2. Thanks

/ 448 backhoe ??? #9  
buckmaster said:

Here's a couple of pics for you, Buckmaster.

The JD system is really quite simple, basicly two heavy plates, one on each side.
There's no subframe.
It is a bit difficult to hook up my I-Match when I remove the 448, as there is limited room to access the lower pins of the 3pt. Not too bad, now I've gotten the hang of it.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Attachments

• Picture 259 (Large).jpg
    Picture 259 (Large).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 798
  • Picture 260 (Large).jpg
    Picture 260 (Large).jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 689
  • Picture 261 (Large).jpg
    Picture 261 (Large).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 792
   / 448 backhoe ???
Thanks for the pics jon!! So i have this straight, you get the hoe off then attach the 3pt to the rocker arms,attach 3pt at the lower end, then the stabalizer and that is it, back to putting the box blade on or what, still having full use of the 3pt system now? Thanks for the help, just want to be sure i get the right one. The woods is giving it a run for the money in my head.