Price Check 46 BackHoe price check

/ 46 BackHoe price check #1  

Hypernix

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110
Hello everyone,

I stopped by the JD dealer today to get a price on a 46 Backhoe for my 4110. I was presented with a few options and I'm also considering another one but I need your valuable input before I decide!

Option #1
The dealer priced me a 46 hoe with Power Beyond, Tall ROPS hoop, subframe, 16" bucket, everything installed, including Tax and delivered back in front of my house for 10600$ Canadian (~8670$ US)

Option #2
The dealer has a used JD 7 backhoe on his lot for 3800$ Canadian (~3110$US). I need to have this one modified to fit the 4110 either attached to the included subframe or to the 3 Point Hitch.
The backhoe has seen better days and has been modified (lenghted) from it's original format. It has several pieces welleded for strenght I imagine, and needs a new seat.

Option #3
The dealer said he could get me a backhoe that attaches to the 3 Point Hitch for maybe 1000$ to 2000$ less than the JD.

Option #4
I buy a brand new shovel, I have a good pickax (sp?) and a few axes and start digging today! I need to remove between 50 to 100 stumps in the next 5 years on this property. Most of the property has lawn so having a doser come in every time would do some damage, and would not work to good with my schedule! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I feel that the price for option #1 is a little high. When I priced it on the JD web site, including US Canadian exchange and 15% tax I would have to pay 9000$ Canadian. The extra 1600$ is for the dealers expense I imagine.

So those are my options! What do you all think?/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hypernix /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ 46 BackHoe price check #2  
Hi

Just as a reference, I paid $9500.00 Canadian before taxes for the 48BH two years ago when the Canadian Dollar was around 65 cent US.

You don't mention what kind of stumps you have to remove, but sometimes depending on the tree, especially large oaks and maples, my 4310 and 48 BH has it's hands full. I am not sure of the specs on the 46 BH, but depending the type of work involved, you may want to consider a larger piece of equipment.

Richard

/ 46 BackHoe price check
Richard,

The trees that I want to remove are mostly soft wood (pine, spruce, xmas trees) with the occasional hard wood tree. The trees are fairly young (25 years or less). I'm not in a rush to remove those stumps so I will take my time if I get the 46 backhoe. Do you know if I could remove most of those stumps with a thootbar on my FEL? It would sure be cheaper!

Anyway, thanks for the pricing info.

Hypernix

/ 46 BackHoe price check #4  
I can't help with Canadian pricing, but I paid $5955 for my 46 BH with 13in bucket in December when I bought my 4110. No delivery or set-up charge but the state of Vermont took 6% on top of that just because they can.

No way I'd touch the pick & shovel. My house is a 220 year old farm with a fieldstone foundation. It HAD a dirtfloor basement that I couldn't stand up straight in...until this winter. I dug that thing out by pick & shovel (& 5 gallon pails out to the trailer) & then poured a concrete floor. I can walk around in it but I'm so hunched over now the extra ceiling height doesn't matter much!

-Norm

/ 46 BackHoe price check #5  
I just ordered the following from my local (Maryland) dealer:

410 FEL
46 Backhoe w/ 13" bucket

Backhoe includes same components you mention: Power Beyond kit, Tall ROPS hoop, subframe, installation.

Price for complete backhoe package was $5,929 before tax and delivery.

Hope this helps.

/ 46 BackHoe price check #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Option #1 The dealer priced me a 46 hoe with Power Beyond, Tall ROPS hoop, subframe, 16" bucket, everything installed, including Tax and delivered back in front of my house for 10600$ Canadian (~8670$ US) )</font>

As others have said, $8,700 US is way too high. I'd check the next nearest dealer. I would expect it to be more when purchased seperately from the tractor as a later addition, but $2,800 more is not acceptable. Adding some in for pickup and delivery (how far are you from the dealer?) and adding in some for the fact that it wasn't part of a package deal, and even adding in some extra delivery charge from JD to Canada (which may not be appropriate) I would still expect it to be less than $7,000 US.

I've found my 46 to be useful for stumps, but it can take time and a larger BH would be welcome, yet I can get the 4110 and the 46 into tight spaces where a larger one would not fit and I have many of those tight spaces. Also, it fits in a smaller space in the garage -- about 16 feet end to end with the BH on I think.

Cliff

/ 46 BackHoe price check
Thanks for info guys, I appreciate this very much!

I did a quick calculation and here's the break down:

10600$ Canadian - 15% NB Tax = 9000$
9000$ Canadian == roughly 7300$ US

So I would be paying 7300$ US which is about 1300$US more that you guys! What a rip off! I'm starting to wonder about this green color! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I know that there are differences with pricing depending on the region you are in but should it be this big of a difference here in Canada? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The other thing I'm noticing too, a lot of people on TNB seems to be paying less than the list price advertised on the JD web site. Some even mentionned a that it could get as high as 15% less. From what I can see my dealer prices the items at a higher price than what is advertised on JD's web site! Is this OK? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ho yeah, I learn something also today, all the JD dealers in New Brunswick and a few in Quebec (the closest to NB) are ALL owned by the same owner! This happened a few months ago, so there goes the competition! (at least between green dealers! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

Ha I'm not sure I like this shopping thing anymore /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hypernix

/ 46 BackHoe price check
Cliff,

I live 10 minutes from the dealer! When I asked them to do my 50 hours service, they didn't charge for pickup or delivery. The next nearest are about 1 hour south and maybe 1.5 to 2 hours north BUT they are now all owned by the same owner... Maybe this dosen't make any difference. When I purchased my tractor, I contacted the JD dealer in the south and they didn't seem to be interrested since I was closer to our local JD dealer.

I hadn't thought about the total lenght of the tractor once the BH is installed! Good thing you mentionned this, I will take a few mesures tomorrow to make sure it fits in the shed IF I decide to buy!

Thanks!
Hypernix

/ 46 BackHoe price check #9  
I don't know anything about a toothbar on a FEL, but you should have no trouble with softwood trees like pine and spruce. My 48 BH can remove those very quickly, so the 46 should be able to do likewise.

Richard

/ 46 BackHoe price check #10  
I dont have a back hoe, although sometimes I think it would be handy, so I do everything with the FEL. Currently I am clearing some spaces for a larger turn around and am knocking over some pretty mature oaks. Most of these I would guess are in the 18"-24" dia range and pretty tall.

I just dig out around each one until I have severed most of the roots down to about 2'. Then I put the FEL up pretty high and push. They usually go right over.

On the other hand I am only talking about 15 trees.
Mark