46 backhoe ram bent?

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #1  

hunter70

Tractor
(prev)harry ferguson t.o.30
Just my luck,rented a 2520 w/46 hoe to do my neighbors a favor was only grubbing to loosen the soil ,been about 15mins or so had a coffee in one hand runnin levers in the other at about half throttle when the dipper ram bent in the middle! I calld them right up and they said it was my fault and I needed to pay $1000 for a new ram! This sound right? I've run every type of const equip there is and never broke anything so I don't know how I couldve bent the ram just grubbin. I'm thinkn someone bent it b4 me and straitened it or the ram they said they "just replaced "had too long of a thro and bent from that pressure. Any ideas b appreciated.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Pretty unfortunate indecent...Plenty around here have that same setup and I've never heard of one bending before, and I've seen pictures of some serious work that's been done with it.

I can't offer any advice, but can assure you it's not a common problem with that hoe.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #3  
That is strange....for that to physically happen (and apparently the second time on that particular cylinder), I would be suspicious that one of the pins on either end of the cylinder is somhow becoming jammed in the cylinder eye not allowing rotation as the cylinder is going through its stroke. Could the ball from a failed grease zerk somehow get down in there and intermittenly catching.....don't know if that is possible or not but just throwing out thoughts.

I have a 2520/46 hoe....have worked it hard with zero problems.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #4  
Sorry to hear of your problems - hopefully you are able to get things resolved with the rental place. We have a JD 2320 with the model 46 backhoe and we have removed several stumps and rocks over the last several months. We have not had any issues with the cylinder rods bending but the teeth on the backhoe bucket haven't held up very well. We have some videos posted on a couple different places on the internet which shows some of the ways we have been using it - below is one example.

Wilson Outdoors

Example - JD 2320 with 46 Backhoe

/ 46 backhoe ram bent?
I think something was/is wrong with the machine. i spoke to a couple local deere shops and they said they have never heard of this happening in just light soils. also told me that i could get the whole ram for 731 bucks or the rod for $160, bushing kit for 61. so why is he telling me its 950 for the cylinder and 48 bucks shipping? im thinkin they maybe tryin to make up for the bad economy as ive spent tens of thousands with this rental company and never had any issues.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #6  
Sounds like the rental company is trying to get you to pay for their maintenance. I would shift the burden of proof to them, and ask for a partial refund of my rental, and delivery costs. If they have no proof of misuse.. I.E. evidence left where you have been digging, etc. and the unit has no history of failure (per local dealers you have spoken too) I would be pretty reluctant to pay them for something they didn't have fixed, or serviced correctly, and I would pay a dealer I trusted to fix it for them if it came to that in the end. Times are tough, but business is business.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #7  
I would tell them to pick it up and ask for a refund and tell them to sue me!!!

/ 46 backhoe ram bent?
i spoke to the rental co. apparently he gets his parts from the some place i do but for some reason we got two different prices. his price is 950 for the ram but for me bein a joe off the street is 730. for me to buy the rod is 155 or for him its 600. go figure. he told me i could buy the ram myself but i dont have the money. i guess ur suppose to have 20k in the bank before u rent anything in case a wire shorts out and it burns to the ground in ur driveway. kinda defeats the reason for renting junk. anyway he still says its my fault and im payin because he looked at it today and didnt see any damage other than a bend.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent?
ur braver than me Wilsonoutdoors, if im pullin stumps i get somethin a little bigger but seems to work for you, guessin u own it.

/ 46 backhoe ram bent? #10  
If you'll search the threads, I believe it was 3rll that showed how he "straighten" a rod without even removing it and letting the tractor do the work of straighting it. Just a thought.