4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake.

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake. #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I bought a very clean 4720 Cab (200hrs) this week and right off the bat, the parking brakes would not release. I managed to free them-not sure how. Nothing as simple as the lever on my open deck 3320

Today I had it at the tire co to ballast the 44 x 18 20 Turfs and they called me to tell me the brakes would not release. I had to go over there to free them up (again I couldn't tell you how-combination of jumping on brakes, pushing/pulling red knob) and when I picked it up tonite-same deal. Its sitting on the trailer so I'll tackle in AM.

I called dealer and they suggested "someone was setting parking brake without depressing brakes". Accordingly, they probably bent the brake cable. so in the morning I'm going to pull the panel that is under the steering column and see what gives.

Any suggestions?

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake. #2  
Seems to me they should be replacing it under warranty depending on the age. I've never had/heard of such problem. I won't be much use though I don't have anything close to this:(

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake. #3  
I suspect what the dealer meant was that someone was pushing the parking brake release (red knob) without depressing the brake pedals. Normally I press the brake pedal(s) and pull out the know to set. Releasing the brakes you press on the pedals and lightly push the knob back in.

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake.
I suspect what the dealer meant was that someone was pushing the parking brake release (red knob) without depressing the brake pedals. Normally I press the brake pedal(s) and pull out the know to set. Releasing the brakes you press on the pedals and lightly push the knob back in.
Correct. this machine is a 2007. the guy I bought it from let "friends borrow it". My suspicion is the "friends" should have been confined to a push mower never mind a 4720. Well I have the print of the parking brake components so wish me luck. I also did a search and I see this is a very common cab tractor problem. You would think there would be a factory fix for this by now. seems like as bad design.

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake. #5  
Correct. this machine is a 2007. the guy I bought it from let "friends borrow it". My suspicion is the "friends" should have been confined to a push mower never mind a 4720. Well I have the print of the parking brake components so wish me luck. I also did a search and I see this is a very common cab tractor problem. You would think there would be a factory fix for this by now. seems like as bad design.

Hard to fix "Stupid". Shouldn't be too hard to fix, good luck with it.

Fixed! Talk about a cheesy set up! The release cable is attached to the parking brake pall with a double bend. It appears at some point someone tried forcing the release button in without depressing the brake pedals and the cable got a slight kink in it.

Best way to get at this is to tilt the hood and you can see the pall and the cable where it is attached. With a long screw driver I was able to keep the cab le tight to the pall while a buddy pushed on the brake pedals-not a permanent fix as the cable probably has as "memory" now.

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake. #7  
Fixed! Talk about a cheesy set up! The release cable is attached to the parking brake pall with a double bend. It appears at some point someone tried forcing the release button in without depressing the brake pedals and the cable got a slight kink in it.

Best way to get at this is to tilt the hood and you can see the pall and the cable where it is attached. With a long screw driver I was able to keep the cab le tight to the pall while a buddy pushed on the brake pedals-not a permanent fix as the cable probably has as "memory" now.

Good news.

Good luck with the tractor:thumbsup:

/ 4720 Cab, Stuck Parking Brake. #9  
glad you got it fixed for now. I need to adjust my parking brake cable or retrofit the newer parking brake components.

glad you got it fixed for now. I need to adjust my parking brake cable or retrofit the newer parking brake components.
Nuru- tell me more please! There is some sort of retro kit to replace the cable?
I'm thinking of making some sort of tool that can reach in to pull this cable if it does it again.