Buying Advice 4720 or 5085m

/ 4720 or 5085m #51  
It leaks hydraulic fluid so much that I have a puddle in my barn floor. :mad: and its under the cab!

I'll rephrase the transmission problem. I'm in C range. Drives fine, and I shut down the tractor. Restart it put it any gear and it wont go. .. have to find a range that will get me going... A... B.... C.... D.... so annoying.

/ 4720 or 5085m #52  
It leaks hydraulic fluid so much that I have a puddle in my barn floor. :mad: and its under the cab!

I'll rephrase the transmission problem. I'm in C range. Drives fine, and I shut down the tractor. Restart it put it any gear and it wont go. .. have to find a range that will get me going... A... B.... C.... D.... so annoying.

Ok... that's not a linkage adjustment - not even close.. That's a hyd pump issue. The 2nd warranty problem with my M was a hyd pump failure. Tractor wouldn't move on startup - didn't matter range or gear - take your pick - no go! Same with the FEL and the 3pt. No lift. Nada.

Had to run the fast idle up to 1,500-1,600 rpm for a minute or two. Maybe do that 2-3 times - rev it up - try the tranny and loader, etc. If it wouldn't work; idle back down momentarily and then run it up again - eventually the tractor would move, etc.

Acted just like the hyd pump would lose it's prime and be suckin' air and would require the "rev up-rev down" to finally pull hyd fluid from the sump. Local JD guys were pretty "limp" with any effort to help. JD rep from Kansas City, MO finally stepped in and got me all fixed up! :thumbsup:

I'll never say a bad word about JD's warranty program! :)

AKfish

/ 4720 or 5085m
I will make notes of those things (just in case) and hope it never happens.

/ 4720 or 5085m #54  
I will make notes of those things (just in case) and hope it never happens.

Just a reminder, I have a SyncShuttle transmission and not a PowrReverser. Not a fan of the PR but am a fan of the SyncShuttle on the 5 series!

/ 4720 or 5085m
Just a reminder, I have a SyncShuttle transmission and not a PowrReverser. Not a fan of the PR but am a fan of the SyncShuttle on the 5 series!

So besides the gears (32/16, 16/16, ect.) is the names syncShuttle and PowerReverser just names for the transmissions or where they specific features if so what were the differences?

/ 4720 or 5085m #56  
So besides the gears (32/16, 16/16, ect.) is the names syncShuttle and PowerReverser just names for the transmissions or where they specific features if so what were the differences?

PowerReverser tranny does not require the use of a clutch after you have selected the Range and Gear. Orange handle lever to the right of the steering wheel - flip it up and down - forward and reverse; and neutral. You need to use the clutch to change the Gears (1-4); and you have to stop the tractor and use the clutch to shift Range's as well.

With a SyncShuttle you have to use the clutch for everything. Forward - Reverse; Range (stop tractor) and Gear changes. Transmission is synchronized so you can change gears while moving.

PowerReverser is similar to driving a forklift or a construction loader.

SyncShuttle is like driving your Dad's SS Camaro or Chevelle with a 4-speed!

AKfish

/ 4720 or 5085m
PowerReverser tranny does not require the use of a clutch after you have selected the Range and Gear. Orange handle lever to the right of the steering wheel - flip it up and down - forward and reverse; and neutral. You need to use the clutch to change the Gears (1-4); and you have to stop the tractor and use the clutch to shift Range's as well.

With a SyncShuttle you have to use the clutch for everything. Forward - Reverse; Range (stop tractor) and Gear changes. Transmission is synchronized so you can change gears while moving.

AKfish

Ah, that makes sense thank you for explaining that. I've always loved geared tractors, a lot better than a hydrostatic.

/ 4720 or 5085m #58  
Thank you, I almost did, I found out that I wouldn't get it till mid July and by then the chores would be so far behind it would be overwhelming. But they did have a 5115M that could be delivered in two weeks (they gotta install all the options that I want.) and it was only $4000 more so that's was sweet. My only sacrifice was the transmission is a 16/16 instead of a 32/16 and the tires are the smaller stick tires. Other than that everything is the same. I took it for a test drive today and I didn't want to give it back to them, I wanted to drive it home right there and then (it was so much fun.) the dealer said I will get it very soon.

Congrats on the 5115M Corey, that is a super nice machine.

I've had my 5105M since Sept. 2009 and it has given me nothing but enjoyment and no problems at all.

Regards,

Tom

/ 4720 or 5085m #59  

AKfish

My dad would have found that offensive. LOL.

/ 4720 or 5085m
Congrats on the 5115M Corey, that is a super nice machine.

I've had my 5105M since Sept. 2009 and it has given me nothing but enjoyment and no problems at all.

Regards,

Tom

Thank you, I hope to get lots of enjoyment out of it too. The wait period for it to get prepped is brutal though, lol.