Buying Advice 4720 tractor

/ 4720 tractor #11  
If you going to hay I'd go with the 4720. Are you planning to square bale or round? Personnally I feel even the 3000 series are too heavy for finished lawn mowing. If I drive over the lawn with my loader rears an bh I get wicked soil compaction. If your planning on square baling the 4520 will be a fine choice also. You may also want to look at the 5000 series but you give up the hydro and I feel the fit an finish are nicer on the 4000's.

Matt

/ 4720 tractor #12  
I have a 2009 4520 w/60 gross hp and like others could not justify the extra cash for 6 more hp. That being said it is an awesome machine. No lack of power and the ehydro makes life easy. No front axle problems and I use 4wd a lot-especially all winter. I believe the front axles are made by Dana/Spicer so a lot of history and plenty of support, although probably not made in the US.
I brush hog, pull a 17' rear tri-deck finish mower, snowblow with a older rear JD blower and use the loader to move firewood. Mostly level though.
You wont be disapponted with a 45 or 4720 IMO.

/ 4720 tractor #13  
I think the 4520 will work for you as well as the 4720 will. I will suggest a cab tractor as IMHO they are more pleasant. Either of these two tractors should be a good match for your work. Might want to consider an MX8 pull type if your fields are open.

/ 4720 tractor #14  
I am interested in getting a 4720 tractor with a loader.

I would appreciate any comments you-all care to give.

I plan to do some brush hog work, skid logs for firewood, Till a garden area. Harvest hay, Mow 6 acres of lawn, and maintain my driveway and dirt roads around my property.

Dave

What kind of hay and equipment?

D.

/ 4720 tractor #15  
I have a JD4700, year 2000 (I think). Under most work situations, the 47 hp rated engine is capable enough (mowing, FEL, 6' box blade, etc). There are times when mowing uphill with a 84' finish mower that it bogs a little.
If I were to go with a new CUT, I'd probably go 4520, although I always like to get all the power available, i.e. 4720, if the premium wasn't in the "silly" range.
I had major leakage in the front axle seals on the 4700 this year, and cost me $700. Am having similar oil leaking in the axle of my X595 garden tractor -- although I found the oil level has been higher than recommended, so maybe the oil was forced thru the seals.
jim

/ 4720 tractor #16  
Hi Dave and welcome!

Have you driven the 3x20 and the 4x20 tractors? I agree with the size issue for mowing, maybe with a RFM it might be nicer.

Rob

/ 4720 tractor #17  
I have the lower horsepower open station JD 4120 in the 4000 series with PowrReverser & a 400CX FEL. I do lots of loader work & use my BB on our long road, it's done everything I've wanted it to do.
As all the 4000 20 series use the same engine, I went for the lowest HP as the pricing for the higher HP are out of line. I can probably get a flash on the computer to up the HP if I want in the future.
It has been a good tractor, no problems thus far.
I can't say anything about the mowing, don't own one, but I can see where the cab option would be nice in that type of work.

/ 4720 tractor #18  
I have two of these and an am happy with mine. Ain't buying that these axles are junk and haven't seen where there is a collective issue with these front axles either.

You must not use yours for dirt work or very hard at all. The stealer told me i should of bought a bigger tractor. But was happy to sell me that one at the time. If you dont use yours that often you wont have the problem till its out of warranty, then when you spend $5800.00 for a front axle. you'll say the same thing as me. John Deere knows there is a "collective" problem it is taking a month to get axle parts, and dana wants all axle parts shipped back to them.Oh by the way I have 2800hrs on mine first axle problem happend at 300hrs.the one I had before that had 3000hrs and 2 axles, 4600 before that had 3500hrs and 4 seals on each side replaced. That makes just my problems "collective" i think.

/ 4720 tractor #19  
You must not use yours for dirt work or very hard at all. The stealer told me i should of bought a bigger tractor. But was happy to sell me that one at the time. If you dont use yours that often you wont have the problem till its out of warranty, then when you spend $5800.00 for a front axle. you'll say the same thing as me. John Deere knows there is a "collective" problem it is taking a month to get axle parts, and dana wants all axle parts shipped back to them.Oh by the way I have 2800hrs on mine first axle problem happend at 300hrs.the one I had before that had 3000hrs and 2 axles, 4600 before that had 3500hrs and 4 seals on each side replaced. That makes just my problems "collective" i think.

I've looked at several front axels in different models. Pressure builds up from heat and pushes the gear oil through the seals.

Open your filler cap after you've been running the tractor hard and you'll hear air escaping. It's not a gear problem, hypoid gears have been running for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. It's a lack of gear oil problems. Makesure to check your front box often. Run that thing dry and it's toast!

I'm making a vent for the front axel in my new tractor.

Rob

/ 4720 tractor #20  
dont let that hp mess u up

my 4320 has plenty hp and more than tires can hold..it got 378 hrs and had battery problems and bent both ft cyl 2 times then got a cyl with bigger rods and all is good

great little tractors with lots of get er dun in them