48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #1  

plottamus

Tractor
PowerTrac PT425
Hey All,

I'm back again with another issue...

Was mowing on this lovely evening in Western NC. I lifted the mower deck up out of float to avoid imbalance while on a slope. When I put it back down and into float I noticed it was much quieter. I lifted it again to look at the blades and only the center blade was rotating.
I've taken it in and out of PTO multiple times. Powered down the machine multiple times. Added grease to all three nipples. Still, only the center blade is spinning.

My grass is getting long so any ideas would be welcomed 🙃

Thanks!
plottamus... PT425

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #2  
Someone that has one should chime in, but you might have a cover to remove to replace belts that drive the outer blades off the center pulley. Or maybe your belt jumped off. If the belt isn't broken, check for alignment of the pulleys and if any wobble.

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #3  
I would also check belt to see if it slipped off pulleys or broke. Just remove covers on mower deck

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating
Will do. Hopefully just a slip. Will be tonight's after work project. Thanks for the tips.

The belt slipped. Had a nice lil mouse nest next to one of the blade pulleys. The mouse did not survive. The fourth tension pulley seems slightly loose and wobbly. Will tighten this evening.

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #6  
I don't remember all the details, but MossRoad posted that he has to periodically retighten some bolts on his PT425 brush deck.

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #7  
Glad you got problem resolved. I always remove covers on mine in spring before I start mowing as I have also found mouse nests under the covers.

May have to remove them after every use with the darn mice around here. We need to get a cat...

Thanks everyone.

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #9  
All my decks are missing their belt covers for this reason. That way I can blow the debris out after every mowing.

/ 48" Mower Deck 2 Blades Stopped Rotating #10  
The belt slipped. Had a nice lil mouse nest next to one of the blade pulleys. The mouse did not survive.
The last thing to go thru that mouse's mind? His spleen! :D

Like @ruffdog, I keep my belt shrouds OFF the mower, both for this reason and so they don't collect grass and cause other issues. Easier to keep clean, and watch what's happening... just mind your toes! Only down side for me is that I do tend to sometimes drop my phone or have it jiggle out of my pocket while mowing, and this increases the likelihood a pulley may eat it.