4in1 bucket failure

/ 4in1 bucket failure #11  
I can tell you why youll never see that failure mode on a CUT.

The failure of that pin was due to the operator opening the clamshell then driveing backward with the front half of the clamshell engaging the ground. Acting as sort of a scraper.

(see this vid at about 40 sec)
YouTube - How to Operate a Backhoe : How to Operate a 4-in-1 Backhoe Bucket

LIkely the failure occurred while trying to due some dozzer activity, trying to pull out some stump in the above fashion or some bolder etc as part of land clearing activity.

The reason why you will never see that failure type on a CUT is that CUTS weigh SOOOO much less they cant develop nearly the ground traction that that 26,000 lb wheel loader can. As a result you just cant generate enough force on that pin from pulling backward on the clam shell to shear the pin ears off like that.

/ 4in1 bucket failure #12  
My first impression was the plate steel was too thin but it was obviously a pin failure that caused the damage. Those are some huge cylinders/working pressures and the pin and plate both appear a little too light for them but the pics tell the tale....the pin failed first. A solid pin and the plate may eventually become the weak point though...........

/ 4in1 bucket failure #13  
Not really a big deal... Inconvenient and will cause you a little slow down, but new pin some heat weld it back up and get rolling. If you are working it something will eventually break. Thats why welding equipment is portable and affordable.

As to "Manufacturer bashing", having something break is not a reflection on the manufacturer... everything will fail and need repaired. I've broke my Cat equipment, and at the time they were the king of dependability. KennyV