4tnv88 Block Heater

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater
I forgot to add regarding hose heaters, there seems to be a problem with most of them tripping circuits in GFCI 110V outlets. I know this is the case with the hose heater that came with my 93' GMC. Naturally all my outdoor outlets are GFCI so I've never used it.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #12  
I forgot to add regarding hose heaters, there seems to be a problem with most of them tripping circuits in GFCI 110V outlets. I know this is the case with the hose heater that came with my 93' GMC. Naturally all my outdoor outlets are GFCI so I've never used it.

I have two heaters in my 336D, one in the block 750W and one in the transmission / rear-end 1KW. Only problem ever encountered was the rather rude surprise contained in the electric bill. Since my place is mostly for week ends duringthe winter I use a swimming pool timer goes on a noon thrusday and off a midnight Saturday.

Big savings paid for it self the first month.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #13  
Hey Gang....I am hijacking this thread as I believe the original poster worked out his problem....If I need to start a new thread...please let me know.

So with Winter in full swing in New England, my YM2020D with the 3T82B-N engine struggles but always starts when its really cold...I just don't like the idea of it struggling so much and was thinking of installing a block heater that Hoye Sells - but I do not want to touch the block if there is a significant possibility that I screw something up. In Katahdins original post and picture, he has a plug that has a square hole that would seem logical that it would unscrew. However in my block I only have plugs and something that I am wondering if its possible was designed to accept a block heater. Please see the image below and the plugs are labeled "B" and the mystery area is labeled "A". If I need to pull the plug B - how is that done and do I need to tap that hole? Thats a pretty big hole to tap????. What is "A"? By the way this is the "passenger side of the tractor.

IMAG0606.jpg

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #14  
No idea about A but I would say B is press in freeze plugs. Stupid question I guess but what is on the other side of your block? I thought that was where the screw out plug was. Right above the starter.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater
I have come across in my research a block heater that looks like it could fit A: Zerostart part number 3500001. Its listed for the Yanmar 3TN66 and 3TN72 engines. Maybe it'll also match up to yours?

ZeroStart - 350-0001 - Circulation Heater

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #16  
I've installed and used both. The inline rad hose install was more of a chalange working in a tight space. It was a Kats, and went into the 3T84 in my YM3000. Had to drain the coolant. Almost the same engine in my JD950 got a screw in block heater. ( 3T90J ) Hex head plug was behind the starter, had to remove the starter to unstick the plug, had to give it a little heat to break it loose. Think the 950 heats up faster with the block heater than the YM3000 did with the hose heater. Think a little more of the heat transfered to the radiator in the YM3000 than with the plug in the JD950. If I have it to do again with my new to me 970, I'll opt to do the screw in heater. I like unplugging the removable cord and getting it out of harms way in the summer.
Chris

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #17  
A looks to be a cover into the crank area ie"oil behind it,not water" and B we here call them welsh plugs which are in the water jackets. i think you would struggle to tap those big sucker holes, plus i dont think there would be much room behind it either to get much depth?

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #18  
Stupid question I guess but what is on the other side of your block? I thought that was where the screw out plug was. Right above the starter.

Glad you said something Winston.....I didn't see this even after looking a few times....Its 17 degrees out today....I would hate to have to start the tractor today....So I can assume this is the plug the block heater would go - So, some propane heat the some force and I should be able to get it out? Will I lose all of the coolant or just a bit like Katahdin did?

IMAG0609.jpg

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #19  
I am thinking that plug should measure appx 1-5/16". That is the appx diameter of 1" pipe. Pretty confident that is the thread size on the block heater that Hoye sells. Tapping on a pipe plug can sometimes help in removal. Penetrating oil is next to useless in my opinion because tapered pipe plugs are made to seal and they do. :D I am not sure I can tell from your picture but that looks like a square head rather than a square socket? I wouldn't think you would loose over half your coolant if that much.

/ 4tnv88 Block Heater #20  
After a lot of plumbing repairs on a hundred year old farmhouse - unscrewing anything with large pipe threads scares me. It would be my luck to tear the head off that 30 year old plug before the plug unscrewed. And using a huge breaker bar risks bumping unrelated components.

Approach with caution!

re losing fluid - first remove the radiator cap to relieve pressure.