4WD: Advantages/disadvantages

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #41  
Soundguy said:
It you are spinning.. your tractor may not have enough weight.

Soundguy

or.... you have too much horsepower given the traction. With four wheel drive you eliminate at least one of those factors.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #42  
_RaT_ said:
or.... you have too much horsepower given the traction. With four wheel drive you eliminate at least one of those factors.

I don't understand that comment. Are you saying that you can't have too much HP, or that you can't spin, with 4WD?

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #43  
Croomrider said:
I don't understand that comment. Are you saying that you can't have too much HP, or that you can't spin, with 4WD?

I don't know his answer, but on my New Holland TN70A, if I run in 2WD with a load in my bucket, the rear end gets light and the rear wheels lose traction. In these situations, I just slip it into 4WD and move on. 4WD does not eliminate wheelspin, but it can help tame the spin tendency if it is going to occur.

I should really put some weight on the rear and it would solve many traction problems.
Bob

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #44  
Croomrider said:

Consider it tongue in cheek humor as that what I had in mind while posting. The jist of it had to do with adding more traction if a given horsepower was spinning your wheels, other factors could be bald tires, wrong lug pattern for conditions, lack of sufficient loading, poor weight load between the front and rear tires, and to much load for existing conditions. 4WD helps take care of some of these issues but not all.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #45  
Glowplug said:
That's the answer I was hoping for. I am looking for info to use as ammo against his argument. From reading other threads, sounds like heavy FEL work is a definite indication for 4WD.

If you get a 4WD tractor, you will probably be responsible for changing your FIL's opinion. Can you handle that responsibility?;) :D

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #46  
_RaT_ said:

Did you go to college for that circular talking.. or is it just a inate gift? (grin)

To the original poster, just to clarify....When i said that there is not enough weight in ref to spinning tires... that implies not enough weight for the hp available, and thus a loss of traction, and thus spinning tires..... etc. Which is exactly how you rephrased the first line of your statement.

4wd does not elimintate traction or hp.. 4wd gives you extra avenues of traction to get the hp to the ground.

Soundguy

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #47  
Soundguy said:
Did you go to college for that circular talking.. or is it just a inate gift? (grin)

To the original poster, just to clarify....When i said that there is not enough weight in ref to spinning tires... that implies not enough weight for the hp available, and thus a loss of traction, and thus spinning tires..... etc. Which is exactly how you rephrased the first line of your statement.

4wd does not elimintate traction or hp.. 4wd gives you extra avenues of traction to get the hp to the ground.

Soundguy

Comedy school:), well and a lack of enough posting time to fully understand the crowd here.... my tractor always comes ahead of TBN.

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #48  
I can't count hte number of times i have either acdentally hit the post button before finish typing.. or typed somehting that was different than what I was thinking ( typo? thinko? ).

Soundguy

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages #49  
I type faster than I think. Problem is, I type really slow.:eek:

/ 4WD: Advantages/disadvantages
I think we've gone on a stray diverting tangent. But there's probably not a whole lot else to say. Thanks for all the input. :D I now feel comfortable getting 4WD without the guilt.;)