Traction 4WD BROKE?

/ 4WD BROKE? #11  
Another pretty easy way to check 4wd in most tractors is doing a brake test on gravel or dirt. In 2wd you will slide the rear tires and it is surprising how long it takes to stop from 10 mph. In 4wd it will nearly throw you over the steering wheel.

This doesn't work with true 4-wheel brakes like on a Deutz-Fahr, but I do not know of any Mahindra tractors with brakes on the front axle.

/ 4WD BROKE?
Sorry guys been busy.
Brought it home today. The rack and pinion in the front axle where the shaft part sticks out to couple to the drive shaft spun smooth and all other splines all the way back to the tranny was wore good. They say it was wearing like that for a while. They replaced everything from tranny to the rack and pinion in the axle including the rack and pinion. It was under warranty thank GOD!!! Doesnt make sense to me. There was never a Bang, Pop, Snap, or anything. Just quit working. Guy that wrote it up said he had never seen one do that as long as he been there. How long has he been there? A day? A month? I dunno. When I took it to the dealer it did start a bit of grinding. Also no the drive shaft did not spin when I was doing all these checks and a matter of fact I never noticed the out put shaft on the tranny ever spinning either when I had my wife move it for me. Frustrating, but happy to have it back as I was worried bout losing customers and not keeping up with our own farm chores was starting to be a pain. Yesterday was 2 weeks it was at the dealer. I guess ok turn around. I dropped it off on a Wednesday and they had it tore down and parts delivered by The following Monday, but still took over a week after parts. Oh well, but we are back in the saddle again.

/ 4WD BROKE? #13  
Just for clarity, when you say rack and pinion, I think you mean ring and pinion. They are always replaced as a set, so if the splines stripped off the pinion gear, the proper repair is to replace the ring gear also. 2 weeks isn't bad for that repair, I do not know of any dealer that would stock a ring/pinion set on their shelves. It's normal to have to order something like that.

/ 4WD BROKE? #14  
Sorry guys been busy.
Brought it home today. The rack and pinion in the front axle where the shaft part sticks out to couple to the drive shaft spun smooth and all other splines all the way back to the tranny was wore good. They say it was wearing like that for a while. They replaced everything from tranny to the rack and pinion in the axle including the rack and pinion. It was under warranty thank GOD!!! Doesnt make sense to me. There was never a Bang, Pop, Snap, or anything. Just quit working. Guy that wrote it up said he had never seen one do that as long as he been there. How long has he been there? A day? A month? I dunno. When I took it to the dealer it did start a bit of grinding. Also no the drive shaft did not spin when I was doing all these checks and a matter of fact I never noticed the out put shaft on the tranny ever spinning either when I had my wife move it for me. Frustrating, but happy to have it back as I was worried bout losing customers and not keeping up with our own farm chores was starting to be a pain. Yesterday was 2 weeks it was at the dealer. I guess ok turn around. I dropped it off on a Wednesday and they had it tore down and parts delivered by The following Monday, but still took over a week after parts. Oh well, but we are back in the saddle again.

Be sure to break in the new gear set properly then change the axle oil. Gear sets have to wear themselves together, called lapping in. Keep the loading low and no shock loads. They tend to run hotter than normal until they are broken in so stop and let them cool down occasionally. When it stops running hot, they are broken in so that is when you change the oil.
For cars and trucks they say so many miles then stop but that's hard to do with a tractor. I use temperature anyway because it's more accurate that miles. The thermocouple that comes with many DMMs is a handy tool for this kind of thing.

/ 4WD BROKE? #15  
Just for clarity, when you say rack and pinion, I think you mean ring and pinion. They are always replaced as a set, so if the splines stripped off the pinion gear, the proper repair is to replace the ring gear also. 2 weeks isn't bad for that repair, I do not know of any dealer that would stock a ring/pinion set on their shelves. It's normal to have to order something like that.
Yes. We have to get the nomenclature issue straightened out. Too many opportunities to misinterpret what OP is trying to convey. ... Unfortunately, only the person that fixed it knows everything.

/ 4WD BROKE? #16  
Just a thought ....

Do you use 4WD when you are on pavement? If you do, DON'T - it is a good way to strip the splines or even break the shaft (don't ask how we know this)

Make sure you only use 4WD wen you are on "soft" surfaces - not "hard" ones

/ 4WD BROKE? #17  
Yes. We have to get the nomenclature issue straightened out. Too many opportunities to misinterpret what OP is trying to convey. ... Unfortunately, only the person that fixed it knows everything.

Tell me about it! It can drive a guy nuts when people order parts over the phone. We often say "snap a picture of the part and send it to us". Because honestly, a lot of the parts are not so easy to put a name on. Ring gear and pinion is easy enough, but lots of tractor parts are not so simple to "name".

/ 4WD BROKE? #18  
Tell me about it! It can drive a guy nuts when people order parts over the phone. We often say "snap a picture of the part and send it to us". Because honestly, a lot of the parts are not so easy to put a name on. Ring gear and pinion is easy enough, but lots of tractor parts are not so simple to "name".
Yes! -- And you with sophistication on the matter, Im sure have run into the problem ordering from someone less experienced - and you not knowing how its named in their parts book. ... "It should have a this on one side of it, and a that on the other-right before the washer/shim/spacer and the circlip/keeper." ... :eek:

Last edited:
   / 4WD BROKE? #19  

Whatcamacallit that's right next to the thingahmajig doesn't work?

/ 4WD BROKE? #20  
Just a thought ....

Do you use 4WD when you are on pavement? If you do, DON'T - it is a good way to strip the splines or even break the shaft (don't ask how we know this)

Make sure you only use 4WD wen you are on "soft" surfaces - not "hard" ones

Excellent advice!
Fronts always are 10-15% 'faster' than the rear so the front literally drags the whole (heavy) tractor around, and that being said the front is simply not really up to the job on its own.
Only when the front threads are well worn down do both front and rear pull equally.

Best is to only engage frt drive when you lose traction with rears, otherwise do not engage the front.
And in passing that also goes for 4 x 4 trucks, (busted a few axles over the years)