4wd not working

/ 4wd not working #1  

kubotalinc

Bronze Member
Tractor
ck20
I was using my ck20 today and noticed that the front wheels were not turning I checked to make sure that it was engaged at the lever and it was but front wheels not spinning? it only has 35 hours on it and I have only had it a month?

/ 4wd not working #2  
Did you happen to notice if neither of the front tires were spinning or just one? You should also notice a SIGNIFICANT improvement in your ability to move in slick terrain when MFWD is engaged.

If just one spins but not the other that's because the front axle of a tractor or 4x4 truck for that matter is of "open" differential design which means that the tire with less traction will spin in low traction situations. The rear axle is setup the same way but with an option to lock it with the pedal by your left foot. If you've ever driven a vehicle with a locked-up front differential you know that it makes it impossible to steer!

If neither were spinning then it sounds like you have a mechanical issue, i'd suggest you contact your dealer as it should be under warranty. The levers and linkages need regular maintenance (WD40) at their pivot points and where they enter the housings, make sure the lever is fully engaging. Others may have suggestions on what to investigate as well. I too have a CK20S but the MFWD has been flawless.

-Josh

/ 4wd not working #3  
Agreed, it is not 4x4 lock, rather open diff, otherwise you'd snap axle or break diff each time you turned the wheel while moving with full bucket.

I've not heard of engagement problems.

If you are concerned have your dealer look into it.

I would think all is fine.

Joel

/ 4wd not working
I started getting stuck very badly and I picked the tractor front up with the bucket and tryed to back drag and the front wheels don't even try to turn? I messed around with the lever but I feels like it engages? I called the dealer yesterday its only a month old with 35 hours on it?

/ 4wd not working
well i lifted the front up and spun the front tires they don't spin like a dif would they both spin but the other wheel does not as far as I can tell the linkage is ok it however is making a clicking noise fronf the front end? dealer is picking it up monday again.