4wd vs. 2wd

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #1  

farmerpsv

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN65
Hey all,
Am going to buy a new tractor this month, and still havn't decided on 4wd or 2wd. Am looking at the NH TN65. 2wd is 19,500 with 32la FEL and 2 remotes, 4wd is 25,500, an extra 6k. I have been using a JD 2020 w/FEL. I use a tiller, bush hog and chisel plow. Have had no problems with pulling the tiller or hog, the chisel pulls back sometimes, but I don't do subsoiling that often. I have been working a fairly flat property and recently moved to a place with more roll to the land. We get a bit of snow, not the north pole though. I use the FEl for moving piles of mulch, compost, and have thought of using it to dig a pond. Having never had 4wd, I might be shocked and surprised at how I ever lived without it...but I somehow doubt it. 4wd is a fairly new inovation as tractors go, is it not? Grandpa did fine without it...course, he didn't have indoor plumbing either /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. so, any input would be helpful, I'm trying to be objective, 6k is a new roof.
thanks,
paul

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #2  
One thought. When doing serious digging with a FEL, I don't think 4WD will help much as you have so much downward pressure on the bucket that the front wheels have little or no pressure on them anyway. When doing general FEL work though 4WD will be helpful in some cases.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #3  
"4wd is a fairly new inovation as tractors go, is it not?"

True....4wd is as new as "compact utility tractors", (CUT's), and came in as pretty much a necessity due to their lighter weight and lack of traction.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #4  
It will be one of the things where you ever wonder how you did without it. I wouldn't buy a new tractor without mfwd. Without a doubt it gives you the pulling power of a tractor a couple sizes above it. You'll go right through that subsoiling with ease where you had problems before. The new tractors are setup with headland management system that incorporates the mfwd into the farming itself. I don't think that NH would have it but the mfwd will be a great asset.

With a loader you will notice significant difference with mfwd. If you have a big load it's very tough to turn. With mfwd it's a breeze.

It's definitely worth the $6k in my book not to mention if you ever want to sale your resale will be much greater too.

mfwd and 4wd have been around for 30 plus years it's nothing new on tractors.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #5  
mfwd and 4wd in tractors has been around for 30 years. It's nothing new.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #6  
For loader work the 4 wheel drive sure makes life easier when you have a full bucket and your backing out of the hole you are digging. Its also a help when loading loose material on the level.

Egon

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #7  
Re: 4wd vs. 2wd, ++Calling John Miller++

Calling John Miller, John Miller you have a 4Wd drive question waiting for you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John explains the benefits of 4WD drive in a very effective and convincing way. I wish I could find his post to a perspective tractor owner. I believe he was considering a Kubota with 2WD and he was pretty stubborn about it being 2WD because he thought 4WD was overrated. His post eliminated in my mind any doubts this guy should have had.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #8  

Of course you can also consider the 2 wd axle will take more weight than a 4wd. And if it is too much weight and breaks the 2wd axle can be welded and go on. You can't say that about the 4wd. This is a never ending thing, some likes one the other likes the other one. It is a personal choise. I personally like the 2wd. Each as its drawbacks and pluses. We will never have a just one answer to this. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4wd vs. 2wd

okay...i'll wait for John Miller. i guess i'm feeling stubborn also. I need to be convinced. everything folks have said makes sense, but all seem to be exception cases as opposed to every day needs.
thanks for everyones input
paul

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #10  

I seriously would not let anything other than price be the determining factor on a compact tractor. Anything you can do with 2wd, you can do better with 4wd when it comes to pulling, because of traction. My first, and only tractor is a 2wd because of price and ignorance, but my next one will definitely be 4wd.