4wd

/ 4wd #11  
That was an interesting film Raspy, thanks for sharing.

/ 4wd #12  
Great thread! This turned into a nice learning moment for my 17 year old son who is talking about a Physics college major. We watched the differential video together (it really caught his interest). That led to a discussion about how brakes work - and a trip outside to look at the brakes on my truck. That's what led to my later question about how the tractor's brakes work.

Thank you so very much for teaching me (and my son) a bunch!!

/ 4wd #13  
Great thread! This turned into a nice learning moment for my 17 year old son who is talking about a Physics college major. We watched the differential video together (it really caught his interest). That led to a discussion about how brakes work - and a trip outside to look at the brakes on my truck. That's what led to my later question about how the tractor's brakes work.

Thank you so very much for teaching me (and my son) a bunch!!

How brakes work is easy.

First...there are two kinds of brakes.

The ones like found on automobiles are simple.....you push a pedal and the vehichle stops.

The second kind of brakes or (breaks) usually deal with older equipment. Stuff that has been pushed beyond its limit until something bad happens. A few examples of these kind of breaks are broken shear pins, cracked backhoe boom, or a connecting rod dangling out of the side of the block.

:laughing::laughing:

/ 4wd #14  
To get "real" 4WD the front axle has to have limited slip and you have to lock the rear differential with the foot lever (on a Kubota).

The Kubota M7040, M8540. and M9040 have a limited slip front differential. Mine has engaged a few times in heavy conditions but there is no lever or way to permanently engage it.

When pulling over large trees I have left four very nice excavated holes in the ground.
No, to get real 4wd, you need a diff lock at both ends. So, unless you buy a Cat Challenger MT 900, a CNH Steiger/NHT9,or a JD 9R series, you won't get a true 4wd. FWA (front wheel assist. )with limited slip is what they are.

Last edited:
   / 4wd #15  
I was thinking that it must actually BE 4 wheel drive, since it will leave 4 ruts in the ground against a tree.

/ 4wd #16  
No, to get real 4wd, you need a diff lock at both ends. So, unless you buy a Cat Challenger MT 900, a CNH Steiger/NHT9,or a JD 9R series, you won't get a true 4wd. FWA (front wheel assist. )with limited slip is what they are.
Or you could buy a Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 85 or 100 and get both front and rear differential lock with true 4 wheel drive and wet disk breaks on all four wheels.

I pulled a loaded log tractor trailer out of a landing right beside the highway on my farm. All the trailer wheels had gone down 8-10 inches and both truck axle wheels were down a good 6 inches. Front truck wheels were on gravel. I had no idea I could budge that thing the way it was setting with the load down hill too. I had enough chain that I could get the Agrofarm 100 front wheels on the edge of the highway and the rears were on gravel. Switched to 4wd and locked both axles. Never spun or slipped, just moved slowly in the creeper speed 5th gear. That was the first time I tried to move something stuck with this tractor. Couple of years before I got that tractor I hooked a 2 wd Farmtrac 80 to a loaded truck and trailer of wood ash. Couldn't budge it at all. So a little bigger tractor, bigger tires and true 4 wheel drive sure amazed me.

/ 4wd #17  
After watching the differential show, go on and watch the next one about Diesel engines. Its also pretty good.

/ 4wd #18  
With a open differential with one tire spinning. The tire not spinning is only getting as much power (turning force) as the resistance between the spinning tire and the ground. In older 2wd tractors without a diff lock. When we would get stuck and have one tire spinning. We step on the brake for the tire thats spinning and that will transfer the power to the tire thats not spinning and if its not stuck too bad that will get the tractor out.

That said my M9000 kubota has diff locks for both the front and rear axles.

Billy

/ 4wd #19  
In older 2wd tractors without a diff lock. When we would get stuck and have one tire spinning. We step on the brake for the tire thats spinning and that will transfer the power to the tire thats not spinning and if its not stuck too bad that will get the tractor out.

You are correct that stepping on the brake of the spinning tire will get you out. But one technicallity....and I know people aways say it that way.....but it doesnt "transfer" the power. Because even the wheel you are "braking" is getting the SAME amount of power. Remember, open diff is EQUAL power and UNEQUAL speed. Since it dont take much power to spin a slipping wheel, thats all the more power the NON-slipping wheel gets. Stepping on the brake makes it take MORE power to spin that wheel. If you step on the brake hard enough, the other wheel now becomes easier to turn. And if that wheel has enough traction, wholla, the tractor moves:thumbsup:

/ 4wd #20  
I know one thing for certain - my '2-3-4' WD 3940 has gotten out of some NASTY stuff, with ease. :D

Big Al