4wd

/ 4wd #1  

Kitz

Silver Member
Tractor
IH 244
Hi yall i have a 4x4 caseih 75c with cab. my question is when i am in 2wd and put on brake it turns on 4x4 if i am on a incline even a slight one it will disengage hard when i release brake kind of like the brakes stick and let lose. if i am on a level area it does it once in a while if i have it in 4x4 all the time it is fine anyone have a idea what it might be thanks Rick

/ 4wd #2  
Rick, what you are describing is 4WD braking. When you have it in 2WD, you only have braking on the rear tires. When you press down on both brakes, it turns on the 4WD to add the front tires for extra traction/braking.
As far as the incline goes, it is disengaging the 4WD while under load from the incline giving it the lurch. That tractor has a dog clutch for the 4WD, so it is pretty positive on/off.

/ 4wd #4  
Meh… I want my 4 wd to be ON when I turn it on, and OFF when I turn it off.
Every situation is different, but the “we know better than you” / “WE’LL decide when to turn 4wd on” nanny attitude isn’t always the best for your safety, or equipment longevity in 100% of all situations.

Example: Anti-lock brakes on ice are often more dangerous because they often INCREASE required stopping distance required.

/ 4wd #5  
Hi yall i have a 4x4 caseih 75c with cab. my question is when i am in 2wd and put on brake it turns on 4x4 if i am on a incline even a slight one it will disengage hard when i release brake kind of like the brakes stick and let lose. if i am on a level area it does it once in a while if i have it in 4x4 all the time it is fine anyone have a idea what it might be thanks Rick
I have this feature on my New holland and I love it. From time to time I will put out hay one bale at a time and always use the loader to transport. I have several gates that the approach is a steep angle, since I have all the weight on the loader spear my rears are light on the ground contact when I stop. I set the parking break and it engages 4wd and the front tires are locked and I dont worry as much about the tractor rolling away when i dismount to open the gate.

/ 4wd #6  
Many of the mid sized and up IH and New Holland tractors use the hydraulics to disengage the 4wd, when you switch to 2wd it disengages the front axle drive . It is a good system in that when the tractor is shut off it's in 4wd.
The 4wd coming on with the brakes is also very common, if you don't want it to engage you can just use one brake pedal.
It will not activate when just one brake is used.

/ 4wd
Rick, what you are describing is 4WD braking. When you have it in 2WD, you only have braking on the rear tires. When you press down on both brakes, it turns on the 4WD to add the front tires for extra traction/braking.
As far as the incline goes, it is disengaging the 4WD while under load from the incline giving it the lurch. That tractor has a dog clutch for the 4WD, so it is pretty positive on/off.
i realize that the 4wd comes on when you brake i can understand that there can be alot of weight to stop its just when it releases it clunks real hard i would think it would be alittle smoother kinda concerned about breaking something

/ 4wd #8  
It could be your lead lag on the tires is a bit off that will make for more wind up and bang or lurch when disengaging.
Have you checked out how much lead or lag you are actually getting with tires at your operating pressures.

/ 4wd #9  
Example: Anti-lock brakes on ice are often more dangerous because they often INCREASE required stopping distance required.
Except that, the average driver doesn't know how to use the brakes on ice, most just jam them on.

Anti-locks work MUCH better for the "average" driver, they are much better off with them.

SR

/ 4wd
It could be your lead lag on the tires is a bit off that will make for more wind up and bang or lurch when disengaging.
Have you checked out how much lead or lag you are actually getting with tires at your operating pressures.
Dont want to sound to dumb but what is lead lag