4X4 downhill traction issue

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #112  
That looks like a great idea, Bruce. However, even these are not idiot-proof. A couple of years ago when i was researching slope-mowing solutions I looked into the remote-controlled gismos and found a story about an operator downhill of one getting killed when it lost its traction and fell down the hill collecting him on the way.

I try to err on the side of caution in deciding when to mow up and down or across the few steep slopes on our property - a couple of areas get the brush-cutter treatment even though they could probably be safely mowed with either the JD 3270 or the Greenfield rideons. It's just too easy to underestimate how wet and slippery the grass is or to dip a lower wheel into a bit of a depression that changes the side angle more than expected.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue
Yes everyone, lets mow grass with chains on the tires, also I don't have radials so lets just put 2 pounds of air into the tires, and damage the tires forever. At least that 30 pounds of deadweight is more useful than your brain.

I would get the ATV Tires, then fill with Rim guard, or any other fluids. Rim guard wont damage your rim where as calcium will.

LOL reminds me of an old Mark Twain quote...." Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

I already tried the ATV tires,then I put some Firestone Floatation 23's on and those worked better but still slides.Brake project in progress.

Thats too bad locknut...was hoping the new tires would give you enough "bite" to slow down, but if wheel is basicly freewheeling, no amount of "bite" is gonna help. With your fabrication skills I am quite sure you could design some brakes for the front wheels, then you could move forward and use each machine as you planned.....I suspect it ,might be a pretty major project though. I do agree.....if you didn't have slopes in excess of 10% you wouldn't need 4WD in the first place.......I feel a long letter comeing for marketing and R&D (not that it would help).........

Should have all the parts for the brake project this coming week.Put the loader on the GR with the cab main frame/roof for a little shade.Drove around the property and trimmed all the low hanging branches that hit me in the face when mowing.Sure is easier using the loader than cutting/dragging all the stuff to one spot by hand :cool2:

Last edited:
   / 4X4 downhill traction issue #116  
Loaders are SO useful on any size tractor. No less so on a lawn mower. Is that a factory loader or one adapted to fit ? I'm somewhat surprised you found the hydraulic connections and pump capacity to let you do that. Certainly worthwhile.

Loaders are SO useful on any size tractor. No less so on a lawn mower. Is that a factory loader or one adapted to fit ? I'm somewhat surprised you found the hydraulic connections and pump capacity to let you do that. Certainly worthwhile.

The loader was custom designed by me and a local fab shop did the welding and made the bucket.It's 12V powered with 18" actuators on the arms and 12" on the bucket.Control is an arcade joystick hooked to 2 reverse-polarity solenoids.Everything comes apart using pins and bolts w/welded nuts.It hangs on the wall when not in use.Pretty slick.More pics;

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...63-my-little-gr-thinks-its-2.html#post1781018

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #118  
That is really clever thinking. Nice job.
I would guess that your average 7 yr old probably would run it better than you however. :laughing:

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #119  
Now that IS slick !! Maybe you ought to patent some aspect of that.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #120  
LOL reminds me of an old Mark Twain quote...." Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

I already tried the ATV tires,then I put some Firestone Floatation 23's on and those worked better but still slides.Brake project in progress.

I like that quote! Thanks for sharing it.