4X4 downhill traction issue

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #81  
I had a customer with a new JD X730 with issues on a hill, except he was also running a bagger. I went out to see, and took a video you
can look at here. New X730 mowing hill - YouTube
It's not as steep as the OP hill, but the same thing was happening , going downhill he was losing traction. I told him to use the diff lock,
and that at least keeps both rear wheels together, and i also asked him to go up the steepest parts, and go down where it wasn't as steep.
This is a 2wd, with 54D mower and 3bag bagger, 4 front weights.
There were concerns of power, but i think the young operator was trying to take the hill full speed and wasn't letting the hydro take it
as it could. (he mows 12-14 lawns in the neighborhood)
I think one of the OP issues is going to be the smaller size tires, not necessarily the tread. turf tires have more surface area in contact
with the ground, and on grass i'm never sold on more aggressive tires as it concentrates all of the traction on less surface, and thefore
in some cases you don't gain. extra weight will help the OP, but he really may need a little larger tractor with larger tires.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #82  
Or get a Steiner. Good for 30 degree grades and I'm sold with how mine works. It's by the far the best machine to use on a hill. The 4wd system is 2nd to none. I've used mine on a ice covered driveway that I couldn't even walk up and that 4wd never slipped a tire. It is pretty awesome in my book !

Steve who's slipped down many a hill with 2wd or 4wd tractors.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #83  
I'm mowing a dam bank that's about the same slope, with a Husqvarna GTH26V52LS; turf tires. One thing that I found helps is to mow the steepest part downhill, making an oval pass, and go uphill with the lesser slope. BUT - I did fill all the tires and added 50# weights to the back. The water in the tires amounted to 13# each in back.

Unfortunately I had to empty the front tires. The weight simply made steering too heavy for my liking. Doing that, however, didn't seem to effect the traction at all. Still, I mow down pretty slowly, letting the hydrostat do the braking. This setup has worked fine for me for two seasons.

The tire change that you're planning might completely take care of the traction problem. Please let us know.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #84  
I've had some problems with those dam banks, too. :)

Bruce

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue
Mowed again Sunday using the big 54" deck.Had to mow uphill on all the steepest parts and the tractor had no problem dragging the heavier deck uphill.When I mow again in a couple weeks I'll switch the rear wheels out from my old 3210V that has filled Firestone AG tires.Maybe turn them backwards for more downhill traction.

Still thinking about a braking system for the front wheels.The only way to get discs up there is to weld 8"spacer rings to the wheels,then fasten discs to the rings.The wheels would have to be reversed to do this to get enough clearance.Then custom brackets made for each side for caliper mounts.I'd be more apt to start this project if I could find a set of wheels that would fit this axle to experiment with.Has to be 3/4" hub center and 3/16" key slotted.Amazingly,the OEM wheels are not even available.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #86  
Just now jumping in - this thread caught my interest because I've been mowing a steep hill for 11 yrs now with a 2 wheel drive Wheel Horse 314-8 (gear drive). I have loaded chevron type ag tires (Carlisle) on back and it will climb straight up, wet or dry, without fail. It will slide on the way down if it's damp or wet. My solution? I always mow up and down at a 45 degree angle to the slope of the hill. I shift my bodyweight on the seat to the uphill (light) side regardless of which way I'm going. This has worked well for 11 years without a slip of any kind. Again, this is a gear drive garden tractor, so I've always wondered how a hydro tranny would handle this. Either way, traction is traction so as long as your wheels aren't slipping I would think the hydro would behave in the same manner.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #87  
I read up to p5 then skipped to the end. I have plenty of roadside ditch to mow and a double mound system. I cut them side ways otherwise you're scalping the top and not cutting the bottom. If I cut up & down I need a "running" start to get up. No problems going down. I've had back peddling cases if I didn't start from a creep going down but no loss of control. I've used a '72 CubCadet 127 with 42" deck. It has the original turf rib tires in front and original turf rear tires. It has W6 front wheel weights in the rear wheels. (They fit flush and give a clean look.) They don't make like that any more. Solid steel and cast iron made for heavy tractor by comparison. It would spin going up hill, especially if the grass was damp. The "smooth" rib front tires stunk for hillside traction. The rears would slip going over root clumps and such without even leaving a mark. I have attempted to mow the same area with my neighbor's Poluan (42" deck, 19.5 hp Briggs, hydro). I now use a Cub Cadet 1862 or a 1863. (These tractors are lighter with thinner stamped frames and cast AL rearends.) I've used the 1863 with stock Cudet turf tires and with Carisle Turf Savers in front and bar lugs with wheel weights in the rear. They may not be perfect I'd take Carisle Turf Saver's over the tires any day. As for the rear, yeah bar lugs aren't as smooth riding but you get a whole more tractor. No more spining on wet grass and not leaving a mark. If it spins to much now there will be a mark before long. I just **** more of my weight to the uphill side that is spinning and way we go. (Sometimes are retry is needed when the grass is damp.) I can't get anywhere with the stock turf tires. I've used the bar lugs without the weights as well. The bar lugs helped over the turf tire but the lighter tractor needed more help. So now I leave the rear wheel weights on year round. (Weights and chains are required to offset the weight of the 45" 2-stage snow blower.) When it comes down to it I don't care what it looks like with weights on, I just want the grass cut. Depending on the size of wheel weights get a bigger deck and then you don't have the problem of the weights sticking out plus you'll get more done quicker. Point being tires can make a big difference and so does weight. Adding enough weight will make a bigger difference than tires alone. In some cases both maybe needed.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #88  
I have an Agway LT 12-38. It was hopeless going downhill until I put chains on it. I shortend a set of snow chains I bought at a yard sale.
I read up to p5 then skipped to the end. I have plenty of roadside ditch to mow and a double mound system. I cut them side ways otherwise you're scalping the top and not cutting the bottom. If I cut up & down I need a "running" start to get up. No problems going down. I've had back peddling cases if I didn't start from a creep going down but no loss of control. I've used a '72 CubCadet 127 with 42" deck. It has the original turf rib tires in front and original turf rear tires. It has W6 front wheel weights in the rear wheels. (They fit flush and give a clean look.) They don't make like that any more. Solid steel and cast iron made for heavy tractor by comparison. It would spin going up hill, especially if the grass was damp. The "smooth" rib front tires stunk for hillside traction. The rears would slip going over root clumps and such without even leaving a mark. I have attempted to mow the same area with my neighbor's Poluan (42" deck, 19.5 hp Briggs, hydro). I now use a Cub Cadet 1862 or a 1863. (These tractors are lighter with thinner stamped frames and cast AL rearends.) I've used the 1863 with stock Cudet turf tires and with Carisle Turf Savers in front and bar lugs with wheel weights in the rear. They may not be perfect I'd take Carisle Turf Saver's over the tires any day. As for the rear, yeah bar lugs aren't as smooth riding but you get a whole more tractor. No more spining on wet grass and not leaving a mark. If it spins to much now there will be a mark before long. I just **** more of my weight to the uphill side that is spinning and way we go. (Sometimes are retry is needed when the grass is damp.) I can't get anywhere with the stock turf tires. I've used the bar lugs without the weights as well. The bar lugs helped over the turf tire but the lighter tractor needed more help. So now I leave the rear wheel weights on year round. (Weights and chains are required to offset the weight of the 45" 2-stage snow blower.) When it comes down to it I don't care what it looks like with weights on, I just want the grass cut. Depending on the size of wheel weights get a bigger deck and then you don't have the problem of the weights sticking out plus you'll get more done quicker. Point being tires can make a big difference and so does weight. Adding enough weight will make a bigger difference than tires alone. In some cases both maybe needed.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #89  
While one can get some braking with front wheel drive engaged sometimes any braking with the front wheels can cause a loss of steering control in that you can not 'steer' with tires that are sliding. Free wheeling front wheels at least may give one some control in a sliding condition.

/ 4X4 downhill traction issue #90  
Looking at your one photo, the hill looks pretty steep. You might want to check some of the websites that compare degrees vs percent slope. A 30% slope can be handled easily by many 4wd lawn tractors. My Kubota Bx 2200 would be fine with that and I mow one that steep every week. A 30 degree slope is a much different situation. A 30 degree slope is nearing 60% and VERY few of the 4WD lawn machines can climb it. Most are hydrostatic and (even in low range) the hydrostatic will probably not pull a 30 degree slope regardless of traction. They are much more likely to hum than to pull the hill. But back to your basic issue -- if locking the differential works, use it. If the tires still slip, your only serious alternative is chains. And if you have to put on chains to mow some grass your are simply barking up the wrong hill. Smartest thing to do is stay off it if you cannot mow it in reasonable comfort and control. My opinion of course. Those are the only opinions I have -- mine !