4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock
Got it, I have run for a year. I could not aford to have it down in parts. I just had to be careful not to get stuck or get my truck to pull it out of holes.

I have the axle cover loose and am going to check the front wheels. Is there a mass oil dump if I remove the cover from the trans link?

Turned the axle and no movement in the front wheels? I put it into 4 and 2 and there was no response in either. I will try to next steps reported above.

It looks like the front axle is not connected or broken from the drive shaft. I need to take the front drive box open and see what I need to replace? I just hope that it was only in the front!!

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #15  
Could be a lot of things, you should start with the 2wd/4wd select lever. Outside - make sure it's firmly fastened to the horizontal fork shaft. Inside - make sure the "fork lump" is not broken or missing. It's needed to slide the claw that eventually connects to the transfer case. If all that's good, follow the gear train to the transfer case. Make sure the mid-connect sliding gear properly engages/disengages properly with the transfer case driven gear. Then comes the front drive shaft. All that holds it in place is a spring that holds half a dozen 8mm steel balls in slots at either end. It's not uncommon for those balls to become disengaged from their slots at one or both ends.

Or - skip all that and remove the front drive shaft cover. If steel balls fall out, you've found your problem. If it appears firmly in place, drop the shaft - taking care not to lose any of those 12 steel balls. With the transmission in gear and the lever in 4wd, try turning the shaft that's sticking out of the transfer case. It should not move. Then try turning the shaft that's sticking out of the front center differential. It should not move either. Which ever end moves will be the end where your problem's at.

If you have to tear into the front end, there's a drain plug on the center housing (pumpkin).

//greg//

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #16  
Seems all the advice needed has been offered.... so it's just down to bets. I say the TC to front end drive shaft has been stripped by the ball bearings... only because it happened to me.

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #17  
raise the front and turn one wheel by hand... the other wheel should turn the opposite direction. if its the case, go down the list and check the driveshaft, the transfert case...

if the second wheel do not turn, you probably have a broken axle. easy fix.

Thanks for the information. I will get on it soon. I needed to look at my pto was was turning. But I need to fix this first. Im going to take the front box off and see what happens.

I finally took of the drive shaft. First I raised the front and turned the wheel. The other wheel just sat there. I pulled the shaft from both ends and took off the covers for both. There was no damage to either end. So the problem must be in the claw or could it stil be in the front end? The shaft did not move on either end when I put it into 4 x 4. And the shfter seemed to be connected correctly. I'm going to pull the seat off and take a look inside.It probably is the gearing that connects the 4x4 to the main drive.

I took off the shifter and there was no damage. There is a hole on the left side front that has a small circular support bracket about in the middle that lines up the the hole through the cavity wall. But there is no shaft in it. I also took off the small cover in front of the 4x4 shifter and their seemed to not be any damage there. I will probably need to remove the rear shaft box and look up under there.