$5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Mom received a quote from Peterson Dean with after the credits and rebate works out to be about $5,000 installed for a 3kW system.

Price includes permits and a 25 year manufacturer's warranty on the made in USA panels and the made in USA mini-inverters

Her daily average is 12kW and PG&E has some of the highest cost per kW in the country and is only going to be higher in my opinion.

I'm thinking why not?

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home #2  
Mom received a quote from Peterson Dean with after the credits and rebate works out to be about $5,000 installed for a 3kW system.

Price includes permits and a 25 year manufacturer's warranty on the made in USA panels and the made in USA mini-inverters

Her daily average is 12kW and PG&E has some of the highest cost per kW in the country and is only going to be higher in my opinion.

I'm thinking why not?

Have you obtained competing bids? It would be interesting to see how this compares. Sometimes too good to be true is too good to be true.

On the flip side, if it's in the ballpark with others, go for it.

We're getting quotes for systems ourselves. This may be the year we take the leap.

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home #3  
The manufacturer and model# of the panels and inverter need to be checked out before you really know what you are buying.

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home
Manufacturer is Enphase...

Will need to find out Model Numbers.

The Micro Invertors appear to have the best warranty at 25 years.

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home #6  

I'm thinking why not?

Wouldn't the units on her usage be kilowatt- hours rather than kilowatts? (So this system could easily handle her whole usage during the daytime) Or are you saying this system would reduce her bill by 25%?

Just got today's bill

32 day billing cycle and 391 kWh used.

270 kWh Tier 1 billed at 13 cents
80 kWh Tier 2 billed at 15 cents
40 kWh Tier 3 billed at 32 cents

(Not including taxes and city fees)

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home #8  
Subscribed!

/ $5,000 for a 3kW home grid tied solar voltaic for Mom's home #9  
Enphase has a good reputation. There is a micro inverter on each panel to convert from DC to AC which is the way to go on grid ties. One of the gotcha with PV power is that a shaded cell can impact the power production of the entire panel. If that shaded panel is connected to other panels, as they often are, the power production on the entire string of panels can be affected. Also, an under performing panel can also affect the entire string. Micro inverters prevent this from happening.

Flip side is that you cannot add batteries with these inverters. The system will not provide back up power in a power outage.

A common default efficiency number is that you will get around 75% of the power produced by the panels at your outlets. Assuming five hours of power production, she would get 11,250 watts hours per day( 3000*5*.75) from 3,000 watts of power.

If she puts in more power generation that she consumes will the power company pay her or just take the power for free?

Check when she would get the rebate and verify the details. The Feds give, or used to give, 30% back but of course that was returned at tax time. NC gives back 35% when I do my taxes. This means I would want to do the installation at the end of the year since I have to come up with 100% of the money and I would want to minimized my time to get my money back via tax refunds. However, there is a catch in NC. NC will only pay back 50% of what you owe in state taxes towards a solar rebate. In other words, if I spent $10,000 on the PV system, NC would pay me back $3,500. However, if I owed $2,000 in NC taxes, they would only pay me $1,000 for the PV tax rebate. I can take up to either 5 or 7 years, I forget which, to get the full $3,500 but that means I have to make a loan payment, or be able to afford to have the money tied up for years, to get my full refund.

This website should have this sort of information or links to said info, DSIRE: Database of Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy Solar Incentives, Rebates, Programs, Policy

Later,
Dan

My understanding is the power company will balance production and usage and pay 3 cents a Kw for excess production or you can bank it.

She is on a bluff and California gets a fair amount of sun... although there are times when the marine layer of fog lays in until mid morning.

Supposed to receive a picture with the panels super imposed to see how it looks... it doubt it will be optimal... a friend did 3 arrays on the slope behind his home for a 9kW system and twice a year he adjusts the panel tilt.

I looked into this briefly back in 2000 and it seems the cost was much higher back then.

Power is fairly consistent here... never been off for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time and that is about once every 10 years.

She does pay quite a bit per kW especially at the 3rd tier.

For Christmas, I changed out most of her lighting to Cree LED and so far it has been very satisfactory... and noticed a significant consumption drop... she still had bathroom light fixtures and ceiling fixtures with 3 75W bulbs each...