5 best uses for Top and Tilt

/ 5 best uses for Top and Tilt #21  
Exactly, and then for most people they get tired of all the adjusting and stop making the adjustments and end up with "that's good enough". :(

and when you settle for that is good enough you make a mess.

/ 5 best uses for Top and Tilt
this is great info, thanks. Keep it up...:)

I'm having real challenges operating my grapple efficiently because my vision is blocked with a solid bucket and the grapple on top.
I operate by positional awareness and feel, not sight as I'd sure like to. Problem is I doubt any camera installed on the front of a bucket would last very long.
Secondly, I'd like one from another angle showing me the three point hitch area, cylinders, hoses, etc. Can't see very well back there either. Particularly when I'm trying to set up the angles on a boxblade or rearblade, etc. I'm not saying I can't see the rear at all through the cab, you can, but it's the angle of observation that is confusing. Now I'm sure on a larger tractor with positional control portrayed in nice electronic graphs this would all be much easier, but for us
more modest tractor owners, now that I can position implements hydraulically, I guess it's just trial and error if one is working by themselves. And remembering the settings when you finally get it right, and lock them down if one can.

While using the rear Land Pride rake, I learned to trust the "numbers" on the Kubota rear draft height lever. Knock some tops off at 5. Knock all tops off at 4. Pull some serious gravel at 3. Start digging in at 2. Go too deep at 1. Etc. The point of this is I can remember this pretty easily, even if I can't see it very well, as I try not to wreck anything while I learn. But this is just up and down, not angling. All while I'm moving and trying not to dig up the lawn...
I wouldn't mind a nice aftermarket 10 or 11 inch color screen showing me positional and functional status right in front of me. Splitting the screen with a live video feed would be nice too...
I realize this entails a lot, as in many, sensors installed to do this, and unless designed in, most sensors aren't likely to hold up well to a gravel pile.

Ok. Here's my mea culpa. My apple tree... I knocked down a small part, one corner of my woodpile with the bucket of my FEL, one tooth actually, because while I was surely "in the danger zone", I simply could not see those bucket teeth from the cab. So invariably I hooked the corner of the pile with the end tooth I guess, and a lot of my hard work came tumbling down. I called myself a few unprintable names, and then backed up, but the damage was done.
That's when I knew a video camera feed would be seriously helpful. As it might be looking backwards if that could be arranged. I have a back up camera on my suburban that shows on my gps screen the pic backing up, and I find it handy, but very disorienting. I'm hoping for something better than that on the tractor actually, since the rear sonar/parking assist stuff on the truck usually squawks when it should, even if just with a trailer hitch approaching.

I'm sure that a lot of my concerns will reduce once I have more seat time with the FEL. Only forty hours, humbly admitted. But I can only chuckle and wonder if 4shorts already has one of those digital readouts and certainly a few cameras. Probably measuring snow pressure or something...:dance1:

The reality of getting in and out of the cab six times to get something adjusted is something I'm trying to avoid. Six, who am I kidding. Lot more than that...

/ 5 best uses for Top and Tilt #23  
this is great info, thanks. Keep it up...:)

I'm having real challenges operating my grapple efficiently because my vision is blocked with a solid bucket and the grapple on top.
I operate by positional awareness and feel, not sight as I'd sure like to. Problem is I doubt any camera installed on the front of a bucket would last very long.
Secondly, I'd like one from another angle showing me the three point hitch area, cylinders, hoses, etc. Can't see very well back there either. Particularly when I'm trying to set up the angles on a boxblade or rearblade, etc. I'm not saying I can't see the rear at all through the cab, you can, but it's the angle of observation that is confusing. Now I'm sure on a larger tractor with positional control portrayed in nice electronic graphs this would all be much easier, but for us
more modest tractor owners, now that I can position implements hydraulically, I guess it's just trial and error if one is working by themselves. And remembering the settings when you finally get it right, and lock them down if one can.

While using the rear Land Pride rake, I learned to trust the "numbers" on the Kubota rear draft height lever. Knock some tops off at 5. Knock all tops off at 4. Pull some serious gravel at 3. Start digging in at 2. Go too deep at 1. Etc. The point of this is I can remember this pretty easily, even if I can't see it very well, as I try not to wreck anything while I learn. But this is just up and down, not angling. All while I'm moving and trying not to dig up the lawn...
I wouldn't mind a nice aftermarket 10 or 11 inch color screen showing me positional and functional status right in front of me. Splitting the screen with a live video feed would be nice too...
I realize this entails a lot, as in many, sensors installed to do this, and unless designed in, most sensors aren't likely to hold up well to a gravel pile.

Ok. Here's my mea culpa. My apple tree... I knocked down a small part, one corner of my woodpile with the bucket of my FEL, one tooth actually, because while I was surely "in the danger zone", I simply could not see those bucket teeth from the cab. So invariably I hooked the corner of the pile with the end tooth I guess, and a lot of my hard work came tumbling down. I called myself a few unprintable names, and then backed up, but the damage was done.
That's when I knew a video camera feed would be seriously helpful. As it might be looking backwards if that could be arranged. I have a back up camera on my suburban that shows on my gps screen the pic backing up, and I find it handy, but very disorienting. I'm hoping for something better than that on the tractor actually, since the rear sonar/parking assist stuff on the truck usually squawks when it should, even if just with a trailer hitch approaching.

I'm sure that a lot of my concerns will reduce once I have more seat time with the FEL. Only forty hours, humbly admitted. But I can only chuckle and wonder if 4shorts already has one of those digital readouts and certainly a few cameras. Probably measuring snow pressure or something...:dance1:

The reality of getting in and out of the cab six times to get something adjusted is something I'm trying to avoid. Six, who am I kidding. Lot more than that...

Alot of it is just getting more practice. You have to get a feel for it. Once you get good you will be able to tell when you have a full bucket or grapple. You can tell by how the back end of the tractor lightens up and by how the easy the tractor is going into a pile. I really like the mirrors on my tractor, I can come with in a inch or less of the tire hitting something. I always curl my bucket all the way in to help make the tractor shorter, it may be the difference between bumping into something or not. Don't forget if you are doing a alot of 3PH work you can turn your seat. Again you will get better with seat time, I know I am still learning.

got my tractor home and put away, and fiddled with the levers as I could make the rake "wave", well kind of.
And I was able to back the tractor further into the shed by elevating the rake over the ballast box which is living back there.
Now when I go to put the box blade on, hopefully I can do more lever twiddling than crowbar pushing.

Attachments

• P1010853 (2).jpg
    P1010853 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • P1010854 (2).jpg
    P1010854 (2).jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010855 (2).jpg
    P1010855 (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 199
  • P1010856.jpg
    P1010856.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 218
   / 5 best uses for Top and Tilt #25  
daugen,
I think all you need is seat time to get the practice you need. My suggestion is to find a place on your property to practice using the controls some. When I got my new 4520 I took it out to our ranch and worked it for a week or so before putting it to use on my customer jobs. The settings you will need to adjust become more intuitive with a little seat time but honestly this is the difference between a skilled operator and a tractor driver/jockey. That is a very nice tractor and setup have fun getting use to it.

/ 5 best uses for Top and Tilt #26  
got my tractor home and put away, and fiddled with the levers as I could make the rake "wave", well kind of.
And I was able to back the tractor further into the shed by elevating the rake over the ballast box which is living back there.
Now when I go to put the box blade on, hopefully I can do more lever twiddling than crowbar pushing.

Daugen, Do you have a float setting on your remotes. Not talking a out detent.

/ 5 best uses for Top and Tilt #27  

Nice looking setup, I can only echo jenkinshph as I had to go down the road to a spot that didn't really make any difference how bad I did and just practice using my TnT. I have quite a few hours on it and am getting better. I have started using my mirrors quite a bit to compare tilt by using the location of the implement in reference to my rear tires. I am far from good, but am rapidly approaching adequate.:laughing:

as far as a float setting, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know. Is this the same as a draft control adjustment?
The manual didn't help, it showed the latter as "if installed". I don't remember that slider but I sure will look tomorrow.
My instincts say no, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
There is a pictogram near the controls, and like so many pictograms, it just isn't talking to me, other than looking like
a cylinder is being adjusted, but not which one or for what purpose.

We have colder weather coming in and I may be able to get some seat time again once the ground freezes. It's just been too wet in our area recently to
do much of anything.

A little light bulb just came on. Would a top and tilt adjustment help to fine tune a phd in operation? Or is that mostly just overall up and down?
I can just see the next new thread...Hi. I 'd like to use my post hole digger to dig coal at a 45 degree angle...would a TnT help for that?;)

/ 5 best uses for Top and Tilt #29  
as far as a float setting, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know. Is this the same as a draft control adjustment?
The manual didn't help, it showed the latter as "if installed". I don't remember that slider but I sure will look tomorrow.
My instincts say no, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
There is a pictogram near the controls, and like so many pictograms, it just isn't talking to me, other than looking like
a cylinder is being adjusted, but not which one or for what purpose.

We have colder weather coming in and I may be able to get some seat time again once the ground freezes. It's just been too wet in our area recently to
do much of anything.

A little light bulb just came on. Would a top and tilt adjustment help to fine tune a phd in operation? Or is that mostly just overall up and down?
I can just see the next new thread...Hi. I 'd like to use my post hole digger to dig coal at a 45 degree angle...would a TnT help for that?;)

Your valve controls on your remotes, how many positions do you have? I have two plus center.

I have started using my mirrors quite a bit to compare tilt by using the location of the implement in reference to my rear tires.

Boy, I would like to also, but I have a size problem, and no guy jokes here, but my current equipment is too small, bought for my smaller tractor, on which it works admirably.
I am likely to donate the smaller tractor back to my church, from where it came, but I hate to think of buying a new rake, a new box blade, a bigger mower, groan.
So I have this weeny five foot rake on the back, and I can't see it in the mirrors because it won't clear the tires. Likely same for my mower, but I'll make do it works so well anyway.
But my box blade suffers an even worse fate, it's only four feet wide. So I can see that even less, without completely turning around.
Boy would I like some CC tv on my tractor; there are all kinds of places where line of sight gets blocked.
And I'm fine with using mirrors; the Kubota has nicely adjustable ones and they are big enough but they can't see around corners.

I don't have a solid rear blade yet, so at least I'll get the right size on that, and will get one that can utilize my rear hydraulics the best.
And I'll be able to see the end of it...
The only other consolation in getting a bigger box blade is that it will be considerably heavier than what I have now, which is needed for counterbalancing the FEL/grapple.
Other than using my ballast box, I think the box blade, a possible new six footer, will be the heaviest thing I have to hang out back for ballast.