5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #1  

Wayne County Hose

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45
Sorry, another 5 gallon can rant. About 6 years ago I almost cut my hand off and now have limited use of it. Because of the new way the 5 gallon fuel cans are configured, I can not hold the spout and pour at the same time. I have to remove the spout and pour into a funnel. This makes a mess as you can see. So the safety police have actually created more of a safety and environmental problem for people like me. Yes, I always refuel when the heater is cooled off and clean up the spilled fuel before I fire it up again. I know, the one can is red, but I needed another can in a hurry and this is all that the 3 places I went to had. I think they all have the same supplier. Anybody know where I can get the old style cans? Are they still available?

Edit: With these style cans, one hand holds the handle on the can while the other hand holds the spout open so that fuel will flow. They are not free flowing spouts. My one hand can't do either.

Attachments

• 100_1816.jpg
    100_1816.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_1817.jpg
    100_1817.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 662
   / 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #2  
Sorry, another 5 gallon can rant. About 6 years ago I almost cut my hand off and now have limited use of it. Because of the new way the 5 gallon fuel cans are configured, I can not hold the spout and pour at the same time. I have to remove the spout and pour into a funnel. This makes a mess as you can see. So the safety police have actually created more of a safety and environmental problem for people like me. Yes, I always refuel when the heater is cooled off and clean up the spilled fuel before I fire it up again. I know, the one can is red, but I needed another can in a hurry and this is all that the 3 places I went to had. I think they all have the same supplier. Anybody know where I can get the old style cans? Are they still available?
I know that working around physical limitations are hard to do. I have to work around being left handed so i can imagine having a problem with the hand. I am not sure what you need. The new cans I have seen around here have two different places to hold the can while you pour. I also notice that they now have a new pouring spout that has an actual lever on it that you work when the can is in position to get liquid pouring out. Will something like that help ?

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #3  
How about a small hand pump to move the fuel? I have used such with kerosene heaters myself and they work right well.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #5  
Stop at almost any store such as Walmart, Tractor Supply, hardware store etc. and get yourself a battery operated kerosene pump. Or get two, one for gas and one for diesel. They are cheaper than buying different tanks plus you won't have to pick up and hold the cans.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #6  
The cans for gas in California have a spout/valve that you twist to unlock and then push into the tank to open. No digital dexterity required.

Oops. Spoke too soon. I guess the rules were changed and the new ones are all just like yours.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #8  
Not sure what "old style" can you are looking for? Here's a can that you can't buy if you live in about 10 different states. PA included. I think I would opt for the battery pump if you can't find the cans you are looking for. The HF can/pump looks like a great idea if it's not a piece of junk.

getimage_new.jpg

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act
Not sure what "old style" can you are looking for? Here's a can that you can't buy if you live in about 10 different states. PA included. I think I would opt for the battery pump if you can't find the cans you are looking for. The HF can/pump looks like a great idea if it's not a piece of junk.

getimage_new.jpg

Sincerely, Dirt

I would love to get my hands on a couple of these. The splash and gurgle is way better than the hold the dumb thingy combined with the splash and gurgle can that we have here in Pa now.

That is the one thing I'm afraid of is the HF unit taking 15 minutes to empty a 5 gal can and being a piece of junk. You guys that can get these cans with the spout that Dirt posted better snag a few while you can. I miss my old metal ones.

/ 5 Gallon Cans and the American's with Disabilities Act #10  
They are $13.99 on ebay. Blitz is the manufacturer. I could buy them and ship them to you, but it's probably illegal for you to go get them filled.

Sincerely, Dirt