5 inches of rain in 90 minutes

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
The New Orleans area just got 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes. There is street flooding and some minor home flooding but no real damage other than to a few of the well known low-lying areas.

I wonder how many areas of the country could survive this much rain in such a short time?

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #2  
I have seen 4" of rain in 45 minutes at work. There is nothing that can survive this kind of rain. Caved buildings in. I hope this never happens at home. It's unbelievable until you see it.

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #3  
I hope to never see a rain like that. I'd really hate to have a claim against my flood insurance.

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #4  
That's alot of rain and would certainly cause damage about anywhere it happened. Flat terrain is actually better, on slopes and hills, that much water moving is going to take out culverts, roads, etc.
Dave.

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #5  
I can't imagine what that would be like. We had a 2" across a vast area surrounding Lake Ontario last spring. The water level at my dock rose 8" in 12 hours.
Even if it was only 12" of local rain. I would lose my favourite part of my yard to the currents of the local river.

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #6  
The New Orleans area just got 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes. There is street flooding and some minor home flooding but no real damage other than to a few of the well known low-lying areas.

I wonder how many areas of the country could survive this much rain in such a short time?

That kind of rain would wipe out half of our population because they'd try to drive through it.:eek::rolleyes:

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes
The NWS just announced that we broke the 1967 record of 10.77 inches of rain in December. So far, as of 12-12-09, we have had 12.72 inches of rain in December and 19 days yet to go. :eek:

We have so many heavy rains in our area and the same streets flood time after time so all the experienced drivers know the areas to avoid during a heavy rain. But there are always a lot of young drivers who get thrills out of hitting flooded streets at 40 mph thinking that they can make it. Many of their cars will be totaled out due to water damage as they get stuck in floodwaters. Hint: Never buy a used car that comes from New Orleans.

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #9  
Yikes,that gotta be finger nail bitter.

Like Dave said,us folks up here would pay heavy price in road damage etc...rather have snow instead.

/ 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes #10  
Worst down pour I've ever seen was I estimated at 2" in about 15 minutes, it was an isolated freak thing. caused instant street flooding, was over as fast as it came and the sun came out while the water was still whirl-pooling down the catch basins.