50 hour check

/ 50 hour check #1  

kubota2630

I've been debating about if I should take my B2630 to the dealer for the 50 hr check or do it myself. I'm fairly handy and do my own service on my ATV's & snowmobiles. The dealer told me Kubota can get a little funny about warranty claims if you don't take it to the dealer for the service.
Should I or shouldn't I? What is your experience?

/ 50 hour check #2  
Why not buy your 50 hour service filters and lubricants from the dealer. Then they have a record of you buying the recommended stuff. I guess you'd be showing a little dealer loyality. Changing fluids and filters just isn't rocket science. And you save the hassle of transporting the tractor. Owners manual should walk you through it. As a bonus,you get to know your tractor quite well. Use the savings to buy the parts and service manuals. They'll be handy down the road. After warranty,use what you want. Good Luck

/ 50 hour check #3  
I think your dealer is just trying to keep from losing money on service labor fees. As long as you keep the receipts for the filters, oil, etc., I can't see how you would have any warranty issues.

One convenient trick is to use a permanent marker or white-out (depending on filter color) with the date you did the change. It also helps you to keep track of when service is needed between the hour meter and a quick look at the filter. That'll also provide additional backup that the service was performed, in the event of a warranty claim. Keeping a paper or computerized journal would be further proof of proper service.

/ 50 hour check #4  
kubota2630 said:
I've been debating about if I should take my B2630 to the dealer for the 50 hr check or do it myself. I'm fairly handy and do my own service on my ATV's & snowmobiles. The dealer told me Kubota can get a little funny about warranty claims if you don't take it to the dealer for the service.
Should I or shouldn't I? What is your experience?

My dealer has no problems with me doing the service. Just to be safe I keep good records and buy my oil and filters from a Kubota dealer so they know that I used proper supplies. I have the luxury of having 2 good dealers within 20 miles.:D

/ 50 hour check #5  
No question in my mind - do the service yourself. Thats the only real way you will KNOW it will get done right.

I reluctantly embarked on doing my 50 hr service with the help of advice from others here. I'm not particularly handy and it is amazing the stuff you can learn to do with a little bit of guidance.

IMHO, unless there is something else you need looked at under warranty, no point taking it in... just do it yourself.

/ 50 hour check #6  
My dealer told me not to worry about the 50 hour and just do it at 100 or one year. In fact they are coming to do it for free at my house... and the tech will show me what to do so I can do it myself the next time.

/ 50 hour check #7  
What I have done in the past and will probably do this time around is have the dealer do the 50 hour service and do all subsequent services by myself. This works good for me as I can have any other issues with the machine addressed at the 50 hour service. The 50 hour service is also the most expensive one you can done at the dealer as just about every consumable and fluid is changed out at the same time rather than being staggered.

If you have no other issues with the machine, then go ahead and do it yourself. It's time consuming but not all that difficult but as others have said ... KEEP RECORDS.

/ 50 hour check #8  
As others have stated - definatley worth sticking to OEM fluids and filters during the warranty period. Keep invoices and records.

/ 50 hour check
Thanks everyone. Everyone has great ideas. I like the idea of buying the manuals with the savings. I also like the idea of learning how to service it myself. I agree the dealer is tryin to "sell" their service. I do keep logs of all the service I do. I will make sure I buy everything from the dealer and keep receipts.
Thanks again.

/ 50 hour check #10  
Hello,

I am about to go down this path myself. and I had the same question.

Well to save from telling the story, I have the office # of the regional Kubota Sales Rep down in Georgia. So I called him directly and asked.

he said as long as the maintenance is done and can be documented, warrenty would not be a problem.

So inline with the other comments:

Make a folder and keep a record of everything.
Save all recpts.
record dates, and notes of everything.

then if there are any questions, you have "the folder".

Did this for other equipment I have maintained and it always seems to make life easier.

I remember buying parts at AutoZone and got the unlimited warrenty parts.
Well, let's just say I don't know how they are making any money on Spark Plug wires, rotors and distributors off of me....

Good luck.. Let us know how it goes...

Later,
Jim