50 Hour done

/ 50 Hour done #1  

curly

Platinum Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti CK35 HST
Well I just had my 50 hour done and it was right at $400. That sound right?

I will definately start doing the fluids, filters and grease myself. What do you do with the fluids that you replace. Just accumulate them in a 5 gallon bucket or something and take them to a shop that will allow it?

And does it even save that much money to do the fluids, filters and grease yourself?

/ 50 Hour done #2  
I think I was a little under that, not much though.

I dumped my fluids in the 5gal buckets the hydro fluid came in and then made a couple trips to autozone, where they take it for recycling at no charge.

Don't know how much I saved, but trailering to the dealer and back, several hours labor, plus filters has got to really add up. And I know exactly what was done and how.

/ 50 Hour done #3  
I did my own 50 hour and plan on doing the all the rest. I put the used oil and fluid into the jugs the new came in and was going to take them in for recycle, but a neighbor asked for it, so I gave it to him. The 100 hour is comming up soon. I'll try to wait until it gets warmer.

/ 50 Hour done #4  
I do my DK45s changes myself. Parts and supplies for the 400 hr service (similar to 50 hr service) cost $250-300 but the HST filter (which I don't have) would add another $50-100. My main cost ($150) was the 10 gal of hydro fluid; I used the Spirax but perfectly good stuff is available from Tractor Supply for much less. If I had a dealer next door, I would pay to have someone else do this service but my nearest dealer (now) is over 50 miles away so DIY is more practical for me.

The 100 hour service is basically an oil change and greasing, which is an easy and inexpensive DIY job. The main thing you want to be able to do yourself is greasing the tractor (50 hr) and especially the loader (10 hr). Some implements (like a mower) also require frequent greasing. A simple manual grease gun will do the job but I added a Lock-n-Lube coupler and an air-operated grease gun. The coupler totally eliminated the messy escaped grease and I can run the air gun with one hand, which speeds things up. I just park the tractor near my air compressor to grease it.

/ 50 Hour done #5  
Another good thing about doing it yourself, is you become more familiar with the tractor by crawling around under and servicing it. It can help you find things that might be trouble in the future. The greasing you need to do yourself anyway, you might as well learn how to change the engine oil. and with a couple of those under your belt, you will be ready for the big 400 hour service. The hydraulic and hydrostatic filers are not big deal at all. Fuel filters is pretty easy, If you are careful and fill up the fuel cup after changing the filter, you can usually get away without bleeding the system.. It may "stagger" a bit, but will usually continue to run. Just follow your manual. Oh, don't forget to check the torque on the wheel and loader bolts/nuts.

/ 50 Hour done #6  
I found a local service garage that uses a oil burner heater to heat their service bays . They took it all ,no signatures , no limit . If I remember correctly , Advanced auto parts had a 5 gallon limit (several trips).

/ 50 Hour done #7  
I found a local service garage that uses a oil burner heater to heat their service bays . They took it all ,no signatures , no limit . If I remember correctly , Advanced auto parts had a 5 gallon limit (several trips).

I just went to 3 different stores in one trip:D

/ 50 Hour done #8  
   / 50 Hour done
Another good thing about doing it yourself, is you become more familiar with the tractor by crawling around under and servicing it. It can help you find things that might be trouble in the future. The greasing you need to do yourself anyway, you might as well learn how to change the engine oil. and with a couple of those under your belt, you will be ready for the big 400 hour service. The hydraulic and hydrostatic filers are not big deal at all. Fuel filters is pretty easy, If you are careful and fill up the fuel cup after changing the filter, you can usually get away without bleeding the system.. It may "stagger" a bit, but will usually continue to run. Just follow your manual. Oh, don't forget to check the torque on the wheel and loader bolts/nuts.

So is this the small Owners Manual that's supposed to come with the tractor? I definately didn't know about the cup thing after changing the filter. But I did run my DK55 out of fuel once and it was a pain to get it going again.

Last edited:
   / 50 Hour done #10  
Hmmm, when I bought my DK40, my dealer said he would split the costs of doing the 50 hr with me, and provide "free" pickup and delivery of my tractor. It is about 80 miles to the dealer from my house. He just gave me an estimate to do the job.... $550!! :eek: Doesn't sound like he is splitting the cost and there is nothing "free" about pickup/delivery.