50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous!

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #22  
I dropped the small cap off my gas can nozzle into the fuel tank on my JD lawn mower - somehow. Took the better part of an hour to retrieve. That convinced me to get an all metal, flex nozzle funnel. If I dropped something into the hydraulic oil or engine oil ports on the tractor - could be SOL.

Besides - it's next to impossible to fill engine or hydraulic oil without some type of funnel.

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #23  
I learned the OP's lesson, years ago, when I was a student pilot.

I was on a ladder checking a fuel level in a wing tank of a flight schools high wing aircraft. I Managed to let a fuel level measuring device slip out of my fingers, and drop into the wing tank.

Removing the tank would have meant draining a large amount of fuel, and disassembling part of the wing. Which would have been somewhat expensive. :irked:

After considerable maneuvering, I was eventually able to get a "grabber tool" to hold on to one end of the hollow tube, long enough to get it out.

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #24  
I dropped the small cap off my gas can nozzle into the fuel tank on my JD lawn mower - somehow. Took the better part of an hour to retrieve. That convinced me to get an all metal, flex nozzle funnel. If I dropped something into the hydraulic oil or engine oil ports on the tractor - could be SOL.

Besides - it's next to impossible to fill engine or hydraulic oil without some type of funnel.

My Deere mower's gas fill opening is about 5" in diameter -- it's ridiculously large. I always wonder why they made it so large. How do they expect people to be fueling their mowers? You could seriously rest the end of a gutter in there and it would fit.

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #25  
My gas tank opening on my JD G100 riding mower is about 3". Easy to drop a small gas can nozzle cap into. Not big enough to get your hand down into. I'm very careful where I place the gas can nozzle cap now.

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #27  
D3DC25CC-CC02-44C4-B3E0-D9DE933A858D.jpeg

I got this illuminated grabby thingy at TSC. I drop way too many things.
The camera looks good me thinks I need one now.

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #29  
As long as none of this Proctologists will drop a funnel inside a patient :D

/ 50 hour service ALMOST turns disastrous! #30  
Years ago I borrowed my neighbors old J.D. skip loader that he had bought from the county at auction.When I finished, I was pouring fuel into it with an old steel fuel can, called a safety can as I remember, with attached flex line, also steel, and the flex line broke off and went into the tank. In the process of fishing it out I found another flex line just like it that had been in there for who knows how long. I know the neighbor had bought the tractor at least 5 years prior and never had a problem.