Oil & Fuel 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12
OK, now I'm confused. Not from you explanation but from the specs for my M7040HD -1. I would expect the dealer to know what the clutch detail are.

Here is what I have copied from the PDF file that was used to purchase the M7040.

DRIVE TRAIN
Four Speed Fully Synchronized
8F/8R Synchro Shuttle
8F/8R Speeds Hydraulic shuttle

I don't have the WSM like you do since it hasn't been updated in years so it was not purchased.

The impression that I got was that the M7040 and the M8540 were similar with the obvious difference in HP. It is supposed to have the same transmission and clutch. (Plus, the M8540 was too wide for my barn's entrance!)

A bit more information from the Internet:
Hydraulic Shuttle
(Hydraulic Shuttle models)
Better than ever, our Hydraulic Shuttle for the M-Series makes shifting between forward and reverse smooth and quick. With the Hydraulic Shuttle, a column-mounted lever, conveniently located next to the steering wheel, does all the work. Boost productivity, especially while using loaders, by eliminating the need to depress the clutch every time you change directions. And when attaching implements, our improved inching feature is easy to perform, giving you the same feel as a half-clutch operation.

And:
Synchronized Shuttle
(Synchronized Shuttle models)
Shifting between forward and reverse is made quick and smooth with the M-Series synchro-shuttle, located within easy reach of the steering column. The M8540 and M9540 also offer greater durability with a new, larger diameter cerametallic clutch.

Does anyone know about the "inching feature" that is listed in Kubota's literature about the Hydraulic Shuttle?

I see it advertised all the time, but don't see any reference to it in my operator's manual. It is suppose to give you "half clutch" feel/operation, but I don't know it is suppose to work. Do you just move the shuttle lever half-engaged?

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #22  
Does anyone know about the "inching feature" that is listed in Kubota's literature about the Hydraulic Shuttle?

I see it advertised all the time, but don't see any reference to it in my operator's manual. It is suppose to give you "half clutch" feel/operation, but I don't know it is suppose to work. Do you just move the shuttle lever half-engaged?

I was going to ask the same question as it sounds handy.

So far, my approach is to just tell one of my sons the day before I use the tractor to hook it up and when I get there, it's ready to go.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #23  
I was going to ask the same question as it sounds handy.

So far, my approach is to just tell one of my sons the day before I use the tractor to hook it up and when I get there, it's ready to go.

I too was wondering about the inching.

rjkobbeman,

I noticed that you seem to have found all the manuals, can you steer me in the right direction to do the same.

I have been reading for a long time and have actually made my M8540 purchase based on info from a lot of the users here. I am involved in quite a few forums and I am still amazed that I make educated decisions learning from people all over the country that I have never met.
Thanks For All the Great Info

I too was wondering about the inching.

rjkobbeman,

I noticed that you seem to have found all the manuals, can you steer me in the right direction to do the same.

I have been reading for a long time and have actually made my M8540 purchase based on info from a lot of the users here. I am involved in quite a few forums and I am still amazed that I make educated decisions learning from people all over the country that I have never met.
Thanks For All the Great Info

I have been working with tractor smart to get the correct manual part numbers. He seems to be the only one who will call Kubota and get the information. Even my dealer gave up on that. Aparently Kubota is not real good with their documentation process.

Anway, tractor smart finally got back to me on the WSM (service manual). Its part number is 9Y021-13768. I have not ordered one yet so I can't verify it is the correct one. It is suppose to be for a M8540HD12-1. If it is like the manual I currently have, it really is for all M8540/M9540 (Cab and ROPS)... just is more current. As far as the parts manual goes, tractor smart is still waiting on Kubota. I will send them another email and see how things are going. Tractor smart gave me a .PDF copy of his parts manual which is the right one... but I still want to buy a real, bound hard copy.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #25  
OK, for an old "gear and clutch guy" I am going to ask what may be a dumb question on the hydraulic shuttle shift. When using loader, or lots of backing up and pulling up to mow in tight spots, can you literally move the shuttle shift lever from forward to neutral to stop, then to reverse to back up, without pushing down the foot clutch?

I have used my stepson-in-law's backhoe a few times, and it operates pretty much that way, but was not certain a hydraulic shuttle on the tractors worked the same way.

Would be a great improvement. After a day of mowing around the pond, creek banks, etc, my left leg is shot......

Or maybe just trying to rationalize a new, bigger tractor....

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #26  
OK, for an old "gear and clutch guy" I am going to ask what may be a dumb question on the hydraulic shuttle shift. When using loader, or lots of backing up and pulling up to mow in tight spots, can you literally move the shuttle shift lever from forward to neutral to stop, then to reverse to back up, without pushing down the foot clutch?

I have used my stepson-in-law's backhoe a few times, and it operates pretty much that way, but was not certain a hydraulic shuttle on the tractors worked the same way.

Would be a great improvement. After a day of mowing around the pond, creek banks, etc, my left leg is shot......

With the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift, you don't even have to stop to shift from forward to reverse though a pause and full stop is advised at any speed. You can simply go from forward to reverse at low speeds. Unless I am backing down a steep incline into a pond, I will usually pause slightly.

I have limited use of my left leg and have to use my right foot to clutch most of the time and after 12 years of operating a Synchronized Shuttle Shift on our old tractor, I still catch myself using the foot clutch from time to time.

I prefer the HST, but couldn't get one on a big tractor.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #27  
Triple R,

Thanks for the response. I've read lots of yours, and I, have to say, I respect your insights/knowledge.

Brad

I see TripleR already answered... but yes, moving the shuttle shift lever to the middle "neutral" position is literally the same thing as stepping on the clutch pedal. It is in fact the same clutch. The clutch pedal and the shuttle shift lever are connected to the same hydraulic valve. It is this hydraulic valve that engages and disengages the hydraulic clutch pack.

The only difference between the shuttle shift lever engagement and the clutch pedal is the shuttle shift lever has a smooth engagement. If you move the lever from neutral to forward/reverse, the engagement is smooth. The engagement from the clutch pedal is relative to your foot. Meaning the clutch pedal behaves just like a regular clutch -- if you let it out fast it just grab fast, if you let it out slow it will grab slow.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #29  
Triple R,

Thanks for the response. I've read lots of yours, and I, have to say, I respect your insights/knowledge.

Brad

Thank you, I believe you would really like the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift as rjkobbeman points out, you have the option of using either. I really like mine and use a combination of hand and foot clutching. It sure save my back after a long day. I spent six straight days on it this summer which I could not have done on my old tractor.

RJ has more time in the seat than I and was one of the posters who helped me in the decision process when I bought mine.

/ 50 Hour Service on M8540HD12 #30  
Sorry to revive a year old thread but had a Kubota 8540 clutch question and decided to stick it on the back of this old thread instead of making a new one.:D

Ok ya'll say that on the hydrolic shuttle 12x12 transmission on the Kubota 8540 that the hand reverser dis-engages the same clutch pack as the foot pedel? So that would mean that I could be driving along in 2nd gear, pull the hand shuttle back to neutrall, shift the gears into 3rd or 5th, then push the hand shuttle back to foward and away I go? I can change gears without using the foot clutch just by placing the hand shuttle lever in neutral?

Can I also shift the range lever into the high range without using the foot clutch by putting the shuttle hand lever into neutral? So I could if I chose to be driving along in 1st gear, shift the hand shuttle/handle into neutral, shift the range to high, shift the gears to 8th, then push the hand shuttle lever foward to engage the clutch and away I go in 8th gear all without ever putting my foot on the clutch pedal? Reason I ask is that my disablity prevents me from using a clutch pedal, I can work my glide shift tractor all day and was checking out how easy it would be operate the M series and decided if I could change gears as I stated above it would be a peice of cake. Just wonderin here...........