50 hour service RANT!

/ 50 hour service RANT! #11  
Podunk, feel free to borrow my tractor any time, I'll even throw in the fluids in case you feel like checking things out!!

/ 50 hour service RANT!
Update II - I had some extra time on my hands so I basically cut and pasted my post on TBN into a Faxing document (I cleaned it up some, so it wouldn't be so offensive). I faxed it to the owner of the dealership.

I got a call back (after the meeting he had with his employees) and the owner said he didn't want to lose my business. This was his offer:

He said they would come pick up the tractor by lunch today (they did, the guy came and left with it already).

They'll re-do the entire 50 hr. service (except replace the filters, which they did do that before).

He'll personally supervise the job...(yeah right, but it sounded good).

They'll refund the entire price of the job, minus the cost of the 4 filters (1 fuel, 1 oil and 2 HST hydraulic filters).

They'll have it back to me before 1600 tomorrow. Oops, 4:00pm.

I get 10% off my next purchase!

I was giddy, but didn't lead on that I was. As you already noted, I told them to come get it.

I don't think I could have done any better on the deal. I mentioned to the owner that I was reluctant to send it back, because you don't send a steak back at a restaurant, he ASSURED me that he'd be out there when it was done and that all the personnel in the service dept. went to his soap-box meeting he had with them in reference to the service I received. He was really apologetic and said he still wanted me to come in for future servicing.

He doesn't know it and I didn't tell him, but I won't be back for ANY basic servicing. Kubota's don't break ;) so I don't have to worry about any kind of maintenance anyhow ;).

Just wanted to let you all know. What do you all think, even though it's a little late now, I still want to hear your comments.

Thanks to all,
Podunk

/ 50 hour service RANT! #13  
Sounds to me like you got a small business owner that cares about his customers. One, (you) raised a problem which he addressed thoroughly in my opinion (assuming he follows through which I think he would, nobody like's to get caught short twice) and is doing his best to make things "right".

You never know, you may want to go bigger next week, or something :)

/ 50 hour service RANT! #14  
I agree with Alan, great outcome. The dealer has some employee issues he has to address. Service technicians could be the problem, the Service dept mgr could be or a combination. He probably wouldn't know about them if you hadn't done what you did.

/ 50 hour service RANT! #15  
MikePA said:
... Oh, any moderator would ban you, not just me. :D

Yeah, I'd ban him, too, if requested. ;)

Podunkadunk said:
... First, in a previous life, I was a Flight Engineer. Isn't much about my particular aircraft I don't know. I'm also an FAA Airframes and Powerplant Mechanic. Not boasting, just establishing my attention to detail and I absolutely insist on the same standard of excellence when it comes to my stuff, as I would do if I were fixing your airplane...

...I marked (inconspicuously with a red 'sharpie') each bolt that had to be removed to drain fluid, marked the filters (all 4 of them, it's an HST) and made a lot of "mental" notes of the situation....

Good advice for anyone to check on their service people. Make sure the job was really done correctly/ honestly.

Another good thing to do is ask for any replaced parts to be returned to you.

Glad you got it worked out with the dealer. :)

/ 50 hour service RANT! #16  
Podunk,

When I shopped for a tractor some of the criteria was how well I liked the dealership, the salesman, what did the shop look like, etc. Did I feel that they would handle a problem correctly. I ruled out dealerships because of things like this.

So I buy the tractor and the salesman delivers. We off load the tractor with FEL and we still have the box blade and the rotary cutter to move. We hook chains up to the box blade and FEL. The sales guy, who is driving the tractor, asks, "Mr Dan, where to you want the box blade." I point to a spot.

He drives the tractor over and starts lowering the box blade.

And the FEL FELL OFF THE TRACTOR.

I'm not sure what hit the ground first, my jaw, his jaw or the box blade. :eek:

We then had a few hours of rather hot work getting things back in order. Basically the FEL had not been setup correctly. Also there was a bracket that came out shortly thereafter that prevented this from happening.

There was no harm done to anything except the salesman's ego. He left the equipment until Monday at which point they would come back and take it to the shop to get it right. Over the weekend I blew out a hydraulic hose because it had not been setup correctly and operating the 4n1 bucket caused it to snag and pop.

This was all made right by the dealer and the salesman. I did not have to say a thing. This story made it around the dealership as well. Many months later I was in the dealer buying parts and talking to an employee. He figured out that I was The Guy with the tractor that had the FEL fall off. The employee said that the day this happened, the salesman got back to the dealer late, went into his office for a few minutes and then went to the shop and proceeded to chew on a mechanic.

The salesguy is not a person who I would think would be a good fanny chewer. He is a real nice guy. Which is why I bought from him. But he chewed some fanny that day. :D The FEL falling off was embarassing. :eek:

I have had the dealer service the tractor a few times and everything has been done correctly. And I'll buy equipment from them as well. They are good people. One sure messed up though. But they made it right in the end.

Give your dealer a chance to make it right.

Later,
Dan

/ 50 hour service RANT!
I did, by allowing them to come and get it and work on it a second time:)

You've got an interesting story there. I couldn't help but smile, although I know it wasn't a humorous situation when it happened.

As for the particular dealership I had the 50 hr. service problem with, they are all good people. The salesman is a hoot, just a good ole country boy like me trying to make ends meet. He's a straight shooter and I admire that in a guy. After I faxed the letter explaining what happed to the owner, I called "Sam" the salesman (name changed to protect the innocent) and apologized to him for sending it. That's how much I like the guy. He knows where his bread is buttered too, I've spent about 15,500.00 in there since December, tractor, 6' boom, front grill guard, tractor weights and an echo line trimmer just recently. He feels my pain and said that it was extremely rare that something like this happens. He also said that the owner called him into his office after receiving the fax, asking about me and what he knew of me. "Sam" said he put in a good word for me and that I was good peeps.

This is my second dealing with the service manager. The first time was when they were building my tractor after I bought it. He gave me a walk around of the tractor showing me all the in's and out's of the machine. I like the guy, don't get me wrong, seems decent.

What I didn't like was the incompetence. If you ask me to or pay me to do something for you, you can rest assured that I'll do the job correctly the first time. All people make mistakes, but AN ENTIRE LIST OF THEM IS UNACCEPTABLE. A 50 hr. service is pretty cut and dry. Drain fluids, add fluids. Grease and lube, replace filters. It's not rocket science and I don't blame the service manager personally. The tech. just didn't know what he was doing. However, the proverbial "buck" has to stop somewhere. Someone is Mea Culpa. I just sent the fax to the top man and I'm sure since he was made to look like crapola by proxy, the "shat" descended down the slope! That's why I called "Sam" and apologized, even though I know he had nothing to do with it.

To shorten a long story, I'll do my own routine maintenance from now on. If something breaks on it, I'll let them do the warranty work, but like you being "the guy who's FEL fell off", I'll be the guy who caught them slackin'! Our reps will precede us when we walk into the dealership. Maybe they'll tighten up and at least do any future work for me correctly.

Thanks for posting and thanks for the "interesting" story.

Podunk

dmccarty said:
Podunk,

When I shopped for a tractor some of the criteria was how well I liked the dealership, the salesman, what did the shop look like, etc. Did I feel that they would handle a problem correctly. I ruled out dealerships because of things like this.

So I buy the tractor and the salesman delivers. We off load the tractor with FEL and we still have the box blade and the rotary cutter to move. We hook chains up to the box blade and FEL. The sales guy, who is driving the tractor, asks, "Mr Dan, where to you want the box blade." I point to a spot.

He drives the tractor over and starts lowering the box blade.

And the FEL FELL OFF THE TRACTOR.

I'm not sure what hit the ground first, my jaw, his jaw or the box blade. :eek:

We then had a few hours of rather hot work getting things back in order. Basically the FEL had not been setup correctly. Also there was a bracket that came out shortly thereafter that prevented this from happening.

There was no harm done to anything except the salesman's ego. He left the equipment until Monday at which point they would come back and take it to the shop to get it right. Over the weekend I blew out a hydraulic hose because it had not been setup correctly and operating the 4n1 bucket caused it to snag and pop.

This was all made right by the dealer and the salesman. I did not have to say a thing. This story made it around the dealership as well. Many months later I was in the dealer buying parts and talking to an employee. He figured out that I was The Guy with the tractor that had the FEL fall off. The employee said that the day this happened, the salesman got back to the dealer late, went into his office for a few minutes and then went to the shop and proceeded to chew on a mechanic.

The salesguy is not a person who I would think would be a good fanny chewer. He is a real nice guy. Which is why I bought from him. But he chewed some fanny that day. :D The FEL falling off was embarassing. :eek:

I have had the dealer service the tractor a few times and everything has been done correctly. And I'll buy equipment from them as well. They are good people. One sure messed up though. But they made it right in the end.

Give your dealer a chance to make it right.

Later,
Dan

/ 50 hour service RANT! #18  
Sounds like a great outcome tot he problem. Assuming they get it right.. I'd call that one 'settled' and go on with it.

Glad it worked out. It seems like a real fair deal.

soundguy

/ 50 hour service RANT! #19  
Running a business is hard. That being said, getting good people to do the right thing is hard.

So, in your situation, I applaud you for bringing it to the dealers attention.

That is hard too! A lot of people will just flip out and be done with it. In this case, the dealer proved he is worthy, and tried to make it right.

I'd say that worked out for both of you, and that is something to move forward with.

It is hard to make things work right. It is easy for anyone to rant and walk.

Good for you.

-Mike Z.