50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #1  

Av8r3400

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
My only project for the day yesterday was to do the 50 hour service on my BX2230. The job was not difficult or strenuous, but please allow me to make a few comments.

1.) Changing the motor oil with a snowblower attached: not smart. The driveline is directly under the drain plug. Kind of messy. Also the front hydro-cyllinder makes removing the front cover difficult. Some have said that this is not necessary, but it makes the job go much better.
BTW: Rotella 5W-40.

2.) What kind of gorilla do they have to tighten the hydro-filter?!? I about lifted up the whole tractor torquing on that darn thing to get it off! My goodness! I was also very careful to have a pan large enough to collect the near 3 gallons of hydro-fluid that will drain (potential mess averted). Super UDT.

After everything was reassembled and filled with the appropriate fluids, I started the tractor to check for leaks and to allow the hydro to circulate enough to move it outside. Life was good untill I realized that every time I mover the FEL lever up and down, it spritzed hydro-fluid onto the loader mount. This past fall I had the detent repaired and, well, something must have been reassembled wrong, so after all that work, I loaded my baby up on the trailer and away we went to the dealer.

I hope to pick her up next Saturday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #2  
Timely, I just did my oil today and realized I did not have tubing for my funnel to make it into the hydro system. Quick dash to the store to p/u one so I could do it tomorrow.
I left the FEL and body work on and got the oil filter off with some grunting. Cant wait to do the hydro now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Steven

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What kind of gorilla do they have to tighten the hydro-filter?!?)</font>

I know what you mean. On my B series the filter is easy to get to... but I still had to have a medium size strap wrench and transform into Hercules to get mine off. I have had filters to where I had to knock a long screwdriver completely through the filter and use it like a 4-way tire tool to get the filter off! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #4  
Hate to hear of your troubles. Was this the 1st 50 hr service?

Just went over 30 hrs myself. Figure I'll be doing the 50 hr service in about a month or so. Did you also remove & clean the hydro stainer? If not get the dealer to.

Since the dealer has it, now would be a good time to get him to look at / fix any other minor troubles it may have.

Volfandt

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #5  
do you have to change Hydro fluid at 50 hrs??

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( 2.) What kind of gorilla do they have to tighten the hydro-filter?!? I about lifted up the whole tractor torquing on that darn thing to get it off! My goodness! )</font>

A very strong one.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif When a filter presents a problem because it is too tight, then it is time to break out the 24" black iron pipe and put it over the filter strap wrench and stand on it. Constant pressure will always work better than jerking on the handle hoping to loosen it. I don't like the screwdriver trick because I have seen where the entire can will come apart and the head of the filter is still intact on the housing threaded stud. I am not certain exactly the cause of the filters becoming so tight, but my guess is that it is the heat. Just remember..... don't force it.... get a bigger pipe or hammer!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #7  
I've had this problem with the first filter change of every new engine I've had. I suspect the filters are put on with the gasket being dry. Oil filters call for an oil film to be put on the seal when installing. On my next new engine, a BX2230 to be delivered on Mar 31, I am going to crack the filter to get some oil on the seal before it cooks the seal to the block. Thanks for mentioning the hydraulic filter problem. I'll crack that one also.

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #8  
On the Hydro Strainer - when I did my 50, I pulled it and cleaned it, although I didn't see much in it. THE QUESTION IS - does foreign material collect on the inside or the outside of it? I couldn't figure out which way the oil was flowing through it.

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer #9  
The shavings and debris collect on the outside of the strainer. When I got my B7300 is had 300 hours on it. I don't know what, if any, service had been done to the hydro/tranny fluid and I serviced it when I first got it since the manual called for a fluid and filter change at 300 hrs. It also called for cleaning the strainer. At the 300 hour mark, it had quite a bit of metal shavings built up on it. I cleaned it off with brake cleaner and didn't have any trouble.

/ 50 Hour Service, + trip to the dealer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hate to hear of your troubles. Was this the 1st 50 hr service?

Since the dealer has it, now would be a good time to get him to look at / fix any other minor troubles it may have. )</font>

Yes, it was the first 50 hour service, and I did clean the screen. There were a few small flakes on it, from what I've read here and elsewhere, nothing to be concerned with. When the tractor went in for the float detent repair, I had them tighten a few fittings that were leaking, otherwise nothing else to complain about. I think that the repair of the detent was/is the cause of the leak now. They are payng for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good dealer, Service Motor Company.