50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves?

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #1  

JD2210MAN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
I did my 50 hour service today (on my <font color="green"> JD 2210</font>) and that of course included the Hydrostatic Fluid and Filters. Now, I ask who has actually done this themselves because I could not believe how much <font color="purple"> Metal (from tiny Metal flakes in the fluid [like glitter] to Metal chips or shavings)</font>. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I knew there would be metal in there but it seems a bit excessive to me. And this is why I am curious about your experiences. I may want to change it again at 100 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Next topic... Who had the 4 magnets in your Screen Filter? It does not say anything about them in the manual but I am curious if anyone else had them just sitting in the screen? They can't go anywhere so... I guess they are just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I thought this job would be done in just 2 hours but at 4 hours I was still going. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
1st- The Oil Filter was really on there tight. Not much room to turn the oil filter wrench either.
2nd- Getting the Screen Filter cover removed was tough.
You are supposed to remove the hose to get the filter to slide out but I could not get the hose to budge. I ended up taking the other end of the pipe off to allow me to flex the hose more easily. Not too bad once I did that.
3rd- The final fun came when it was re-fill time. I purchased the 5 Gallon bucket of Hydro fluid and with my wife holding the tube, me lifting the bucket... we needed a mirror to see the fluid level window. I know people do this every day but it was a little more challenging than I had pictured. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
For all the work I have completed using this machine, it was well worth the effort. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #2  
It is normal to find the "glitter" and you may find some larger chips left over from manufacturing, however excessive metal filings and chips could indicate early failure.
The magnets in the screen are to catch steel filings etc and should be cleaned and put back where they were. If you are concerned about the filings, take a sample to the dealer and have them look at them. Most likely what you are seeing is normal wear and left over manufacturing debris. The next change will reslt in cleaner oil.

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #3  
Hi ,

I had those same magnets in my 4110 , when I changed the hydro fluid. At the same time I changed the fluid I installed a hydro heater. I called the dealer and they indicated that they have not seen any more machines come through with the magnets. They suggested I leave them out , reason being that machines are not coming with them anymore.

Plus when I put the heater in the magnets would attach to the heater core and I did not want to heat the magnet and destroy it and then have bits of magnet floating around.

I did not put the magnets back in.

Hope this helps

Mark

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #4  
I did mine as well. I don't reccomend changing the Hydro fluid at 100 hours but I did change the spin on filter at 100 hours and it needed it.

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #5  
I did mine. Easy job, but took some time. I was a bit surprised at the 'mat' of filings on the screen too, but also comforted by the fact that there was plenty of screen left to catch more. I am not going to change until 200 (more) hours.

I like doing it and knowing and seeing what is there, as others have described. The mechanics probably just take it in stride, and don't get too concerned, so don't pass on any information other than "it's done".

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #6  
<font color="green">Did it. Had magnets. Found slivers and metal particles so small they covered the magnets more like a paste. Kept the magnets inside the suction screen when I put the suction screen back in. My filter came off easily enough but the suction screen cover seemed to be painted shut and took a little work to remove.

I plan to change the hydraulic fluid at 200 hours as recommended in the manual. Don't see a need to change it any sooner. However I have been changing the oil and filter every 50 hours as cheap insurance against engine wear.

Check the frame area around your battery for corrosion. Wish I had checked mine sooner. The damage can be hidden if you do not remove the front grill when you take a look.

Mike
</font>

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #7  
JD2210Man--although I have a 4400, I did the 50 hour service myself and found that the HST filter was totally clogged with metal dust (when I cut it apart to inspect it) and there was about an 1/8 inch layer of metal dust in the bottom of the bucket of drained hydraulic oil after it sat around for a month waiting for me to recycle it. ALSO, the suction screen was totally covered with metal filings. In my case, it was a very early model of 4400 and apparently JD quality control sucked big time in not inspecting the transmission housing since the factory did NOT flush it and left in the millings. This led to a dangerous situation with the hydrostatic tranny slipping without warning--like going down a pond dam or heading toward the corner post on my deck when the damned thing just freewheeled when I let up on the forward HST pedal. Also, there was an unexplained power loss at times when in road gear going down the road and sometimes even when in second range axle when mowing with the belly mower. Thanks to a great dealer and the JD service reps as well as PIP and Fix as Fails bulletins, the transmission was replaced as were the brakes and hydraulic pump and the entire system was flushed--all because of a lack of quality control and due to the metal millings. (The battery, dash glass, entire front end and various linkages as well as other miriad warranty issues were also replaced or replaced since they were defective for a total bill of about $12,000 of warranty work). I traded that pile of junk off on another new 4400 (later model) that already had all of the fixes due to unpaid field testers like me, and when I did the 50 hour service, there were NO metal flakes of any size on the suction screen nor any in the transmission fluid. There were also non at the 100 hours service or 200 hours service either!!! I cannot relate to the magnets that you mentioned--dunno about such things on my 4400. Because of the amount of frustration and trouble that I had with the original 4400, I have no allegiance to JD or green color--but did like the size and potential capability of the tractor and gambled $5000 in trading it for another one...but looking back, I probably should have given up on green and gone back to Kubota since both of them were basically trouble free--the last one I had for ten years and the total cost of parts was ten dollars for a broken tachometer cable. But my current 4400 is now four years old and has been awesome and the only issue with it has been the usual leaking JD battery.

Thus, my experience with the large amount of metal filings that totally covered the suction screen, tells me that as they circulated in the transmssion/hydraulic fluid, damaged the brakes, transmission, and hydraulic pump.

Good luck.

MikeSp

/ 50 hour service - Who has completed it themselves? #8  
JD2110MAN,

I've done my service "by the book" on my 4115. The only problem I had was catching all the hydraulic fluid from three drains and the filter (glad I had some kitty litter around).

I too had the magnets in the screen, not a lot of metal "filings" but a lot of metal paste (I guess filings so fine they were the consistency of graphite). I thoroughly cleaned the screen and magnets and put them back as found. New J.D.'s may not be coming through with magnets (mine was new this June though) but, if they grab all that metal sludge, I'm for keeping them in.

I changed the fluid again at about 120 hr.s as I hooked up to a 3PH hydraulic splitter (old one). I had forced all the fluid out of the splitter that I could, but didn't trust what was left. So, I ran it for about 1/2 hour, drained it, changed the tractor's fluid, and added fluid as needed to re-fill the splitter. There was significantly less sludge on the magnets and screen.

As for re-filling. I pull up next to my outside steps, place the 5 gal. pale above the level of the filler hole, and use a small $14 plastic hand pump with long tubing I found at the local hardware store. It was made for Kero and supposed to siphon after 1st few pumps but wont with hyd. fluid. The tubing is just the right size to fit in the filler hole and not fall out. I just pump in approx. 3.5 gal (3.9 capacity), let it settle, and check the dipstick. Does the 2110 have a dipstick under the seat like the 4115? After running it for a few minutes, I let it for a while and re-check the level. Then I add a little more as needed.