50 hour service

/ 50 hour service #1  

GBeck

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I searched but couldn't find any thread...just curious if I do the 50 hour service on my bx according to what the manual says will I void any warranty or does the dealer have to do the first one?

/ 50 hour service #2  
You can do it yourself, many people here on TBN have completed the job themselves. You will not void your warranty and you will get to know your machine better this way. I did it myself and learned quite a bit.

Do a search on "50 hour service" and select Kubota Owning/Operating as the search criteria and you will come up with many old posts about how the process went (some good and some with issues that you can learn from before you do it yourself).

/ 50 hour service #3  
If you have a BX24 check the fluid level in the front axle. Thanks to this board I (like many others) found the level very low. Don't think it is actually part of the 50 hour service.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ 50 hour service #4  
I did my own as well - definitely worth the effort as you do learn quite a bit...

Manual is fair, you should be able to find a post the Team at Messick's that was a HUGE help to me...walks thru it step by step with pics...

Best of luck!

/ 50 hour service #5  
I did my 50 hr service on my BX2660 myself a few weeks ago. I just made sure I went to the dealer to get my parts and told them to give me everything I needed to do a 50 hr service myself. That way I had a receipt to further back up that I handled it correctly (and I enter it in my User manual chart.)
They gave me way more than what I needed for the 50 hr, so at first I thought "what have I got myself into" But it was easier than I thought .
1) Engine oil change and filter of course was easy, like a car.
2) Airfilter,, although they sold me a new one, and 50 hr does not show need to replace ... I read about how it could be cleaned three times before replacing and mine was quite clean , I will save the new filter for the 100 hr .
3) they sold me 2 fuel filters too but not needed at 50 hr and both looked very clean.
4) Hydraulic oil filter was not too hard to do, a quick change and you do not lose much fluid. Get yourself a "band type " filter wrench , it is tight quarters probaly on your BX model too!
5) Hydraulic Metal screen cleaning was tricky from behind rear axle, you do lose a bit of oil , but if you plug quickly with clean rag tightly pushed in, you can clean the screen with varsol and dry and put it back in with only a cup or two of oil lost. They sold me 2 gallons of fluid , but you are not required to change at 50 HR. Dealer told me just top it up unless I see something abnormal . Will use the fluid at 100 instead.
6) torque all the wheel nuts, grease the machine , check a few other things and your done.

I learned a lot about my machine and saved myself $200 bucks.

jake

/ 50 hour service #6  
The simple answer is YES, you can do your own work*

As long as the service/maintenance performed meets or exceeds manufacturer's specs the Manufacturer must honor the Warranty... equipment abuse not included.

Problems come up occasionally when the manufacturer requires proof scheduled maintenance/service or repair has been performed using the parts and service intervals as stipulated. The safest route is to use OEM service parts.

It is common during Arbitration Hearing for the manufacturer to request service records and receipts for work done outside the dealer network.

A simple log documenting date and hours along with receipts is all that is required. Notations on parts receipts also work, just be sure to write down date and hours.

I had one case where the manufacturer required a specific transmission fluid that could only be obtained through the Dealer and/or one brand name manufacturer. The owner used a generic that claimed to meet the manufacturer's specs and it was the Manufacturer's position the consumer's claim was with the generic product producer claiming to meet OEM specs.

The consumer lost against the manufacturer because there was sufficient doubt the generic product was indeed equal of better.

/ 50 hour service #7  
Honestly, do the service yourself. You will get the satisfaction of completing it yourself, learn a lot about your tractor, and save some $$$ in the mean time.

The biggest thing though....NOBODY will take care of your tractor better then YOU the owner! I'm to the point where I don't trust anybody to do anything because of the shotty workmanship out there any more. Sad to say, but its true.

Craig

/ 50 hour service #9  
Do your own. It does help you understand your machine better and will help you understand some of the questions and answers on this forum. I did my first one a little over 4 years ago on my new BX2200. No I don't like laying on the ground with fluids dripping on me but still do it on my tractors purchased since the BX2200. My BX2200 had a MMM and I pulled it out from under the tractor to do the service. Put it back on and never felt the drive shaft click back in when I hooked it back up. The reason I didn't hear it click in is because it didn't. Some time later I heard this terrible noise and then the mower quit mowing. The drive shaft punctured the filter when it came loose so new filter and fluids. I always make sure MMM drive shaft (actually all drive shafts) firmly click into place when reinstalling now.

/ 50 hour service #10  
John makes a good point. Since I can't hear all that well, I always pull in the shaft to make sure it's locked.