Comparison 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700)

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #11  
Have you sat in the seat of either tractor and tried them out? I would go with HST over gear (personal opinion) but if the 5700 is a shuttle then I think I would lean that direction to get the extra weight and lifter rating for the round bails. What do the tractors have for tires? Unless your ground is hard or you don't mind it torn up a little ags may not be the best fit for mowing. But if where you plan on using your loader is a little muddy then maybe they would be.

Right now I've got gear, HST, and shuttle shift and work with all and agree with what Al says. Given the other advantages, a shuttle just might be the best of both worlds. A HST is nice for back and forth loader work, but for traveling distance or for stretches of constant speed like mowing particularly the geared tractor is more comfortable because you can just set the thottle and forget it. Let the governor handle changes in load. Geared tractors don't have the sudden deceleration that a HST does. That makes mowing with a HST is less comfortable to me because it is more jumpy.

You might or might not care about fuel costs. My experience when I get into larger machines is that the HST uses noticibly more fuel than the geared machine. In smaller size tractors the difference never seemed to make much difference. Or at least I didn't notice so much. Now I do.
rScotty

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #12  
Right now I've got gear, HST, and shuttle shift and work with all and agree with what Al says. Given the other advantages, a shuttle just might be the best of both worlds. A HST is nice for back and forth loader work, but for traveling distance or for stretches of constant speed like mowing particularly the geared tractor is more comfortable because you can just set the thottle and forget it. Let the governor handle changes in load. Geared tractors don't have the sudden deceleration that a HST does. That makes mowing with a HST is less comfortable to me because it is more jumpy.

You might or might not care about fuel costs. My experience when I get into larger machines is that the HST uses noticibly more fuel than the geared machine. In smaller size tractors the difference never seemed to make much difference. Or at least I didn't notice so much. Now I do.
rScotty

I have both HST and geared units and as all my HST tractors have "cruise control", so I have not experienced the problems mentioned.

As mentioned, it is often going to be a personal thing as I will take an HST over ANY geared unit for my needs; different needs, different priorities.

/ 50 hp Kubota (L5030HST & M5700) #13  
I vote with Texas John.

I have a 5030HSTC

I stack a hundred or so medium and large square bales. The large run about 1500. I keep a subframe mounted BH on the back and I have rimguard loaded tires. Unless the predominant (more than 75%) duty is ground engagement service (plowing, etc) I would vote for the HST.