5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #11  
cowboydoc

You hit the nail on the head. There are other posts on the 5X03 series and the opinion of end users seemed to be that they were very reliable high quality machines without all the added goodies and options.

I researched the 5X05 pretty heavily prior to my purchase of a 5420. I just needed more pto and drawbar HP than was available from the 5205. For 80% of my applications the 5205 would have been perfect.

As previously stated, the buyer needs to get some seat time on the models and decide which one he wants/needs. His HP range 55-65 (pto or engine is not specified) could put him out of the 5205 model. The John Deere website has a really good tractor selection tool that can further help him narrow his selection.

I agree with a previous poster, quality should not be an issue with a Deere product regardless of manufacturing/assembly location. Keep in mind there has never been a machine built that does not have a weak spot. Just the nature of the beast.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #12  
LittleBear,

I am a new 5205 MFWD owner. I have put 20 hours on the machine thus far, so I am still a newbie, but here are my observations.

The tractor is made in Augusta Georgia.

I have a 522 loader and it IS quick attach.

I considered the 5420 but went with the 5205 because it is more nimble in tight spaces and costs less. I have a pool, deck, retaining wall and the house in close proximity and I am so far impressed with how the 5205 handles in tight spaces. It is also very simple to operate. The SyncReverser is great for loader work, which I have spent the majority of my 20 hours doing so far.

The seat and operator station is perfectly designed for my needs. Every control is comfortable to reach. The farthest control to reach is the steering wheel.

I am very pleased with the 522 loader. It is very powerful and simple to operate. Simple is good for a newbie. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am planning to do a lot of harrowing and seeding for pasture in the late summer and fall along with quite a bit of post hole digger work. After the ground engaging work is done, I need a nimble machine to work in and around the horse barn I'm planning to build, so I need my tractor to be nimble in tight spaces. The 5205 fits this need.

I looked at several tractors before I bought and kept coming back to the 5205. I don't think you can go wrong with a Deere utility tractor.

I am not a brand loyal guy and also own a small Kubota. I think the 5205 was the best overall value for my money, and the fact that I like the dealer who is 7 miles from my house helped as well.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #13  
My apologies for being late into this discussion but a combination of freeway car accident and business travel have kept me away from the forum. I have a JD5325 4WD built in Georgia and is currently sitting at my dealership(Colchester, CT) waiting for the BH delivery. I don't recall your location but if you're in the CT area stopby there to check it out if you find it difficult to locate one near you. The motor for this tractor is US JD designed and built. My understanding is that many of the heavy frame members are sourced outside of the US..anyone correct me if I'm wrong. With my order ergonomics was a consideration so I went for the column power-reverser and the 3pr front hydraulics which has joystick control for the FEL. Also the quick detachment of the FEL and BH were important to me on the JD. BH delivery seems to coincide with the end of my job related travel which means I will have stick time starting the end of June. When that happens I will add my first impressions to TBN. Good luck.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #14  
I haven't seen a 5205, but the JD dealer down the road has a 5203 on his lot, set apart from his other models. The fit and finish of the 5203 isn't anywhere near the level of the other machines. Cheaper controls, squawky clutch and brake pedal action, rough file marks on the chassis. These are things I noticed with just a casual inspection. Also saw the "MADE IN INDIA" stickers on the chassis and engine.
It may be that the quality is where you can't see, where it counts, and it may run great. I didn't test drive it, but the first visual impression is "cheaper".

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #15  
I own a 5105. has roughly 70 hours. MFWD. It is an economy tractor. I have spent over 500 replacing parts I took responsibility for bending or breaking under normal use. yesterday was my first warranty claim - clutch went out.

Lay on your back and look underneath both tractors. The 5105 has electrical wires hanging down next to the fuel tank just begging to be snagged by brush (cost me about 200 right there)

Plus, JD does NOT make underarmor for the 5105 - they do make it for 5225.

I also had to replace bent step, punctured fuel line (exposed on bottom) and many others. pm me and I will be glad to talk on phone.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality
The clutch went out after only 70 hours? Wow! Do you think you got a lemon, or do you think JD has cut too many corners with the 05 series?

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #17  
Let me correct myself - When I called my dealer and told them about my clutch problem, they came to get it the same day, looked at it the same day, called me (same day!) and told me it was an adjustment problem, they had it fixed and were going to deliver it back to me! all under warranty! I could not be more happy with this dealer, and am a little embarassed at my failure to diagnose such a problem.

Back to your question - I see my 5105 as a modern 8n. It is nimble, light enough to drive over my septic tank almost like a compact utility tractor (which it is not) and has a turn radius my neighbor with the 5225 covets.

One thing I forot to mention: My tractor needs more ground clearance, (again, like an 8n) especially with the wires hanging down, the plastic gas tank on the underbelly, fuel line on underbelly, etc. Tires are the culprit - 5105 has a 14.9 by 28 - my neighbors 5225 has 16.9 x 30 - he has a great deal more ground clearancei than I do.

Bottom line - you can spend 30 grand on a tractor. I did not. I can still pull anything my neighbor can pull, but im not a bull in a china shop. Mine will fit in a garage.

About cheap manufacturing, roll marks, etc. I could come up with some complaints - cowl screws already rusting, steering wheel cap coming off letting the wheel bolt/nut rust, but in the big scheme of things, this is a tool, not a diamond ring. Tools get bent, rust a little, and are only semi durable in that they get used up.

Comparison to Kubota - I hope this comment is appropriate, since I saw some pretty harsh comments at the 5103 above - I drove Kubota 4800, 4900, and i think the 5000? don't recall the numbers - but the kubota controls seemed cheap to me, the ride was likea riding mower, and most of all: Kubota front axle has the control arm in front, covered only by a thin sheet of metal. See for yourself. I have accidently hit so many small trees/stumps on my front axle which is beefy cast iron, that had I been in a kubota, I would have had to replace the axle by now. The only comparable axle is NH TT55 or Case JX 55.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #18  
Update:

Since my last post, I now have 80 trouble free hours on my 5205. I have run it hard with no mercy. That's what it is made for.

My only complaint would be the wires, etc underneath like andrewj said. They are tucked in pretty tight though, and I have done some pretty rough bushhogging with no problems.

The bottom line is that it is possible to tear any tractor up under certain conditions.

You sure have shopped a long time! It will be interesting to see what you ultimately buy. Just don't get Paralysis by analysis. I still say the 5205 MFWD is the most machine for the money. At least for my money.

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif