5035 HST suction strainer cleaning

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #1  

Hermio

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST w/FEL and 4-way bucket; Ford 4110
This might be a dumb question, but where is it? The Mahindra manual says it is on the right hand side of the rear housing, but the illustration does not look like anything I see there. They also refer to unscrewing 4 bolts on a cover plate, but no bolts are visible in the photo. I am doe for the 50 hour hydro oil change, and I want to make sure I know where it all is before I begin.

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #2  
Right inside the front of the right rear tire there is about a foot long [ $100 ] hyd filter. If you look at the base of this filter, there is a large metal hyd line that goes a few inches towards the center of the tractor then turns down. There, you will see two SS hose clamps holding about a 4" long piece of large rubber hose. Right below that, bolted to the side of your hyd sump, is what you are looking for. After you drain the 10 gallons of hyd fluid via the drain plugs, remove the 4 bolts holding the cast strainer cover, then carefully pull the 10" long strainer out of the side of the sump without damaging it. There is an O ring seal on the cast part that seals against the sump case when you put it back in. If this is your first pull, you will need to clean a lot of krap and grey sludge off that screen... do a good job before you put it back in. Next time, it will probably be a lot cleaner like mine was.

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #3  
ALSO, there are probably at least a half dozen of those 1/2" NPT square headed drain plugs in the sump area and up on the tramission cases themselves. You should think about yanking them all out and cleaning the magnets on them if this is your first system change. Never know what they might have stuck to them. The big hose with the SS clamps on it, loosen the clamps and slide them up next to the big filter, then slide the big hose up out of the way to pull out your strainer. AND, you guys can keep Toledo... Us Michiganders are over that deal......:)

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #4  
The only thing I would add to what JerryK has said is to change out the cheap screw clamps that Mahindra chose to use on the short section of rubber hose, and install a couple of quality SS screw clamps, less than $2.

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #5  
ALSO, there are probably at least a half dozen of those 1/2" NPT square headed drain plugs in the sump area and up on the tramission cases themselves. You should think about yanking them all out and cleaning the magnets on them if this is your first system change. Never know what they might have stuck to them. The big hose with the SS clamps on it, loosen the clamps and slide them up next to the big filter, then slide the big hose up out of the way to pull out your strainer. AND, you guys can keep Toledo... Us Michiganders are over that deal......:)

I think that there is an access plate opposite the hose that allows removal of the filter without the hassle of disconnecting the hose.

I did not notice that plate until I was halfway done - so I took it out the tougher way - but I'm pretty sure that the hose can stay connected. If I remember I'll try to take a picture - but check out that plate, it's on the opposite side of the transmission housing - about the same size as the plate that connects to the hydraulic suction line. I think it's 3 or 4 bolts that hold it on.

I only found 3 pipe plugs for the transmission - though they are all magnetic and worth cleaning. 2 are pretty easy, one is located under the cover for the front driveshaft.

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning
I found that there were rigid hydraulic lines preventing wrench access to the bolts. I did not want to risk damage to those, so I decided to have the dealer clean the strainer. Unfortunately, the dealer is backed up on service, so it will take him a month to get to it.

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #7  
The rigid line just forward of the strainer cover can be pried forward with a piece of wood with a little umppffffh. About a foot forward from this ' adjustment ' there is a fitting where the offending line goes up and connects at a fitting. After the adjustment, you may have to tighten this fitting, or at least check that it is still tight. If you have an appropriate hand tube bender, you can bend the tube in place with a real bender. But the umpffffh method works.... Remember, you are only moving it enough to get a straight shot with a socket, not ' inches '... so just a standard umpfffh.... Bet a cold barley pop that is what the dealer is going to do.....

If the dealer screws it up, it will be his expense. I don't want to risk it.

/ 5035 HST suction strainer cleaning #9  
If the dealer screws it up, it will be his expense. I don't want to risk it.

HA, if that part breaks while they are servicing it you will see it on your bill.

HA, if that part breaks while they are servicing it you will see it on your bill.

I doubt that! I think they know what my reaction would be. So far, the dealer has been very good. I need it to go in for4 warranty work anyway, as I am getting some strange noises under the hood. Sounds like parts rubbing sometimes.